South Florida...Keys....Bahama Info needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2008
I agree about the swim fins, and use a snorkel as well. Easy to get used to in a matter of minutes. If this appeals to you at all you wont just want to float by the boat, you'll want to casually paddle around and watch all the activity from the very shallow parts to the deeper parts-- again without having to dive at all. We go often and stay in the water until we are prunes.
More about the buoys, there are a limited number but we have never had any trouble getting one. My choice though is to go during the week when there is less traffic.
If you dont get that far down the Keys and would like to try this go to John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park on Key Largo. There you have the choice of taking a glass bottom boat out to the reef, take a snorkeling tour with a group (they supply your equipment or you can use your own), or launch your own boat and go out to the reef. This area is much more spread out and generally deeper. Again, know the rules about anchoring and such. We prefer the more remote, shallower, and less traffic'ed Looe Key. Plus its a nice sail out to there. At Pennekamp you motor out through some distance of Mangrove channels before hitting the open water and the reef.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Thanks guys for the specific sites that you like. That is appreciated and if you or anyone else has some favorite locals and wants to share them here or in a PM let me know. I take friends (and you guys are friends) to little know Anasazi sites here in the canyons and like to do it, but don't necessarily want to publish them on the Internet.

I've snorkeled before, both in the states and in Hawaii. Ruth hasn't, but we will for sure be doing this. One reason for wanting to get down there the end of Sept and the first of October is we want to enjoy some warm (I like hot) water. Lake Powell gets warm, hot to some people, but I like 80 degree water. We will spend the first of the trip between Miami and Key Largo where if a storm is coming in we can get the boat on the trailer quickly. Then after visiting family in Conn and PA at the middle part of our stay we will return and hopefully do some of the places you guys have mentioned a little further south in the Keys.

We will be down there probably close to 104 days, but would be gone north some of that time and would actually be in the water about 90 days, which I think is the legal limit before you are suppose to get FL registration on the boat. So the boat would be in the state maybe 100-110 days, but in the water probably 90 days or less. We would like to not have to register it there. Any comments on that?

Thanks for the info on the Maptech ChartKit. I'm going to order that soon. Have any of you gotten the new one with the 'companion CD'. If I understand how it works it will load the charts into your PC to see on the screen, but not into the 76 Map GPS, just waypoints. Is that correct, I still need to get garmin's Blue Charts?

c ya,

Sum and Ruth

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

M

MrBill_FLL2

POST OF THE YEAR: http://cruisersnet.net/south-florida-map/

although I disagree slightly with some of the anchorage picks.

most of the anchorages they pick are ok, but some are in channels or in front of homes, but in each case, you could move slightly and be fine.

they also miss some good spots too. but over all a very good resource. I love how you get the chart overlay, over the satellite view, nice mashup

--------------
September to mid October is in the summer weather pattern.
Hot & humid w/afternoon thunderstorms. very calm at night and in the morning, until the day starts the inland heating.

Winter weather pattern, is a cold front approaching from the NW, often the heaviest storms arrive half day ahead, winds clock from E-S-W-N, once they start to rotate back to the east we get warming, and nice calm weather until the next front approaches. sometime you get a weak and strong front in tandem.

how tolerant are you of the heat and bugs?
for me, that's a big deciding factor on a lot of the places I go. those 1st 30 days might be tough...

Another place you might like will be boot key harbor. in marathon. in the winter its a crowed jumping off point for bahamas, good place to make friends. also St Augistine.... heck you could run some or all of the ICW.

bluecharts are specifically for the garmin gps, and over priced imho.

some connect a gps to a laptop and use freeware. that above link is all you need for now.

M

mrbill

3 months, starting in september? sept, oct, nov?

best 3 months are feb, march april, this year it was hot all of Oct, and warm in most of november, it really just got nice this weekend. but we still need a near frost to kill the bugs.. usually we get a week in december. and a few more near frosts in jan.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Thanks Bill that is pretty neat and it gives me a better idea of anchorage locations and depths and such. Too bad there isn't a way to see it off the internet. I'll probably print a number of screens.

September to mid October is in the summer weather pattern.
Hot & humid w/afternoon thunderstorms. very calm at night and in the morning, until the day starts the inland heating.
We plan on getting there the very end of September and are looking for hot water, so will have to put up with the heat. Hey we can get in the water right:dance:. I use to go to Mexico north and south of Acapulco, always in the late spring/summer. It was hot, but there was always the beach. Last summer it was 95-100 in upper Idaho. We get a lot of high 90's and some 100's here, but no humidity and cool (60's at night). I do remember growing up in St. Louis and the 80's with humidity was not nice. We have to be home mid January, so we will have to deal with it.

how tolerant are you of the heat and bugs?
for me, that's a big deciding factor on a lot of the places I go. those 1st 30 days might be tough...
I asked Ruth your question. Her reply about the bugs "not at all that is why we have 2 fly swatters ;)". After seeing your guys bug nets we plan on making (actually she will make it) one from sunbrella and netting from Sailrite. That will be a must have. We will try it out in Wyoming next summer. I'm glad this came up as we might not of been prepared for the bug situation.

Keep the suggestions coming and thanks,

Sum and Ruth

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Sum,
A couple of comments on the above. Years ago, I chartered sailboats to the Bahamas and did a lot of snorkeling. Snorkeling over a shallow coral reef is a spectacular experience. It's very easy once you get the hang of the snorkel. Be sure to use flippers to make it even easier.
Claiborne Young has a guidebook but he also runs a website with the latest updates from cruisers. It covers the coastal region from Virginia all the way down to the Keys, then up the Gulf Coast to New Orleans. There is a section on the Keys, which you might want to follow for the latest updates: http://cruisersnet.net/category/keys-florida-keys/

Robspan gets credit for the link... Ive seen cruisers net, but not that link...

-Water is plenty warm, even today. air is cool, makes it harder to get out of the water...both air and water are plenty warm thru october. should be no problem swimming.

I'll see if I can find some 'sand flea netting' its much finer than the mosquito netting, and probably not needed anywhere but florida.

I only have small sections for the front hatch and the companion way screen. -These are they bugs I dread. they don't seem to travel (fly) far liike mosquitos, mostly I see them in the mangroves when there's no wind, around dusk and dawn... and for some strange reason, they like to stay on the celing, poptop, and cabin celing... might be the white area, or the fiberglass... not sure, but if I get them in the boat, I try to kill each one with my thumb. (they show up well on the white surface as little black specks.)

-you may want a wi-fi enabled laptop, or netbook. a lot of marina's now have free wi-fi, and its very nice to get weather... and email, etc. with a broad band card, you'd be connected in most of the area.

On the sleeping in sept, you may want to think about a deck/table/cover for the cockpit, so you can sleep outside. if you can get some wind, you might be ok. inside will be hot, sweaty, fans will be needed. or figure a way to run an a/c unit...

best of luck!

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/mosquito_netting.htm

625 holes per square inch vs: 525 in^2

I'm not sure you want no seeum netting for normal duties, it might block too much wind... but when you need it, you really need it. when I was younger I went swimming at night just to get some relief. scratching makes it worse... alot like a fiberglass itch.

you can bathe yourself in skin-so-soft and it does help.. you are an oily mess... but its better than being eaten.

best advise is not to anchor where they will be a problem... but that takes some guess work... or experience. btw, that marina on the 18 mile stretch, surrounded by the mangroves is a high probablility area... avoid during low winds, sunrise/sunset.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2008
Know you have read a fair amount of posting on noseeums (mine included). Just dont want the critters to wreck the beautiful evenings (or mornings) your going to enjoy and your ability to rest up for the next days adventure. The special fine netting is a great idea. You should definitely try to get your hands on some and use it. I'd much rather be alittle hotter because less wind gets in than deal with these bugs.

My wife and I rented a condo for a week on Cedar Key (west Florida at the start of the the Big Bend of Florida) last spring. We were two floors up overlooking the mangroves and the bayous- it was beautiful. Went outside onto the balcony porch with a cool drink, book and looked forward to the sunset. Within 30 seconds I was up out my chair jumping aroung like I was on hot coals and raced for the door:eek:. I dont know how noseeums get around, aliittle flying but more hopping from place to place I think, but they had no trouble finding me up there.

We have camped extensively throught all of Florida, especially along all of the coasts, and we do our best to avoid setting up anywhere near mangroves. We enjoy exploring while sailing, and sometime in our small skiff when we want to go real remote with a limited amont of time or the Mac wont fit, and we notice that these bugs are worse in the mangoves. Too bad cause they are beautiful. The right net will solve this problem for you though. Side note, a steady breeze seems to keep them somewhat a bay.

My MapTech Kit did not come with a DVD. Wish it had.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Dem Florida critters luv tourst blood, ya'all cum on down, ya heer!:D

When I was stationed at Homestead I got dehydrated and the doctor put me on yeast tablets and one side effect was no bug bites.

Don't know why it worked but I went from a buffet plate to off limits in 48 hours.:dance:

May 4, 2005
tell me more about yeast tabs....

yes, I know some people are more attractive than others to bugs...

always try to sit next to the more attractive types...

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
I really can't say what they were other than yeast tabs.

You might try a health food store.

I will say that I went snake hunting in the everglades with out a bug bite and even in VN I was never bitten using them.

I always wondered why the southern women had such soft skin untill I heard about Avon skin so soft.

I too like to sit next to attractive women.

T

Tom26M

no seeums and moskeetoes

Southwest Florida is my favorite cruising area. But I have found that although mosquitoes can travel farther out from land to your anchor point ... no-seeums are limited. Very much so.

I have anchored many many times off the shores of a shoal or barrier island rich in mosquitoes never to be bit if two criteria are met ...

Distance and
Wind direction

2 to 300 yards are generally good. Farther from a barrier island and you've lost the protection of calm waters. So what's the sense? Generally winds are pumping in your direction and will not carry many mosquitoes your way since they cannot smell your CO2. However during the still of the often early morning hours when the wind goes still and WHAMMO! They will come.

Sucks but that's the way it is. So have netting handy and fans. Having a portable generator is a real lifesaver! Especially if you find your batteries going dead.

If not a generator ... one of those booster battery packs for jumping car batteries is quite handy.

Tom

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
.............Sucks but that's the way it is. So have netting handy and fans. Having a portable generator is a real lifesaver! Especially if you find your batteries going dead.

If not a generator ... one of those booster battery packs for jumping car batteries is quite handy...............Tom
I have the .............................

..............generator part covered. Thanks for the bug recommendations and that also goes to the rest of you.

We have bad no-seeums here in the early summer. Really small gnats. I use to be never bothered while going out with other people who got bit and swelled up bad. I once told a park ranger that they never bit me. He told me "they bite everyone, some people just aren't allergic to them". Well guess what, he was right and now I seem to be allergic to them and swell up bad when bitten. I don't go to sandy areas now in late May into July.

Mosquitoes don't seem to hit me near as bad as Ruth. In Idaho there were a lot of wild bees on the lake at time and they would fly down into the cabin. I usually find that if I don't mess with a bee it won't mess with me as if it bites me or anyone it will die. Well Ruth still couldn't stand them and was quite active with her fly swatters. Since her aim wasn't always perfect I was amazed and still am that neither of us was stung.

Well bugs or no bugs we are going,

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Sep 25, 2008
I'm one of those to sit next to if mesquitoes are about. As payback I've passed it on to my kids:D. Haven't tried the yeast tabs but I'm going to. Believe you have to start taking them a few days before they work. Dont like putting the the commercial repellant (read poison) on me but have had success with cedar spray for mesquitoes, just have to keep reapplying (the noseeums eat it for desert however). I get it at our local tractor supply shop. 'Course then you smell like a walking cedar closet.

In one of those "why didn't I think of that moments" my little Honda generator and fans are coming with us next time.

May 4, 2005
Tom/Norm, re: generators.

I have a honda 2000, but have only run it on the boat in the backyard.

where would you run the generator on a Mac?

2 issues I see, 1) a wake knocking it over, or 2) fumes killing me. (entering thru laz).

(edit: 3 issues, catching the fiberglass on fire)

this is where a swim platform would be handy.

Sum, btw, there was a post a few years ago about and X, called zeno's arrow, (mad-mike) he used some capacitors to 'hard start' an a/c and he ran it from 12 batt bank. I'm not sure how it works other than storing energy to start the compressor.

Last edited:
T

Tom26M

running a generator

Mr. Bill,

You have one of those (I gotta get one of those) type generators ;)

A good friend of mine and a member of CFYC (Central Florida Yacht Club) Mark Majors owns a EU2000 generator and runs it from the stern in the cockpit of his 23 foot Hunter. It's quiet and it doesn't walk around back there because it is nestled between the seats and a stern ridge in the back section.

My wife and I spent July 11 for the shuttle launch at Ski Island near the locks where the cruise ships are moored. We actually spent 4 days moored at the island waiting for a launch that never happened until the day we left .... really figures 'eh?

Well, Mark ran his generator at night and we were anchored only a hundred feet or so and could not hear it running. He ran his window shaker he installs in the comanionway at nite. Works well for him.

But (and I really don't know if he does (Mark)), having a CO detector down below in the cabin would be wise.

Seems Mr. Bill you would only have two issues to handle on this one.

1. Where and how to run the unit so it safely runs without walking the 'plank' in the middle of the nite into the drink!
2. Installing a CO detector in your cabin just to make certain nothing of the exhausts seeps down below where you are fast asleep.

Tom

T

Tom26M

superset

Oh yeah, forgot to mention;

I wanted to comment on Sumner's Genset!

WOW!

Is that a Delcotron hanging off the end of that motor?

That sucker can put out a good 50 amps or more, which would charge a dead car battery in a mere 20 minutes!

I see you have a toggle switch hooked up to the Field terminal so that the motor will crank without too much struggle!

Good Job Buddy

Tom

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Sumner

Two thing I would like to reccomend--

Boating Encyclopedia: Smart Regulators
Sponsored Links
Wilkerson FRL's in Stock
Filters, Reg., Lubricators, Dryers Same Day Shipping, Quick Quotes
www.oylair.com
Bellofram Regulators
Air & Gas Regulators & Gauges Online Ordering 800-576-6308
www.Pressure-Controls.com

Home > Library > Sports > Boating Encyclopedia

Charging faster with modern multistage regulators
The alternator on your engine generates alternating current (AC), the kind the power company transmits to your home. But your batteries can receive and give out only direct current (DC), which flows in one direction all the time. Luckily, modern diodes and circuits can rectify matters, changing AC into DC with little loss of power, so your alternator can charge your batteries after you’ve run them down.The problem for most boaters is that it takes a long time. That’s why many sailors are installing new multistage regulators that allow faster charging from larger alternators. For example, if you have two batteries with capacities of about 100 amp-hours each, the constant charging rate with a normal regulator should not exceed 10 percent of their combined capacity, or 20 amps. A higher rate will greatly shorten battery life.But a “smart” regulator allows the alternator to charge at between 25 and 40 percent of battery capacity, or 50 to 80 amps, which will cut charging time by a half or two thirds. Smart regulators work by sensing the state of the battery and adjusting the flow of charging current in multiple stages, whereas “dumb” regulators allow full charging for only a short while before cutting the flow back to little more than a trickle charge.Because powerboats run their engine(s) continuously while underway, charging time is not nearly so critical an issue.

and

How about a flex pipe or some way to direct the exhaust away from the cockpit and down to the water?

I have the .............................

..............generator part covered. Thanks for the bug recommendations and that also goes to the rest of you.

We have bad no-seeums here in the early summer. Really small gnats. I use to be never bothered while going out with other people who got bit and swelled up bad. I once told a park ranger that they never bit me. He told me "they bite everyone, some people just aren't allergic to them". Well guess what, he was right and now I seem to be allergic to them and swell up bad when bitten. I don't go to sandy areas now in late May into July.

Mosquitoes don't seem to hit me near as bad as Ruth. In Idaho there were a lot of wild bees on the lake at time and they would fly down into the cabin. I usually find that if I don't mess with a bee it won't mess with me as if it bites me or anyone it will die. Well Ruth still couldn't stand them and was quite active with her fly swatters. Since her aim wasn't always perfect I was amazed and still am that neither of us was stung.

Well bugs or no bugs we are going,

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Sep 25, 2008
Mr. Bill,
Actually.......I'm not sure. The thought of being able to crack up a respectable fan when moored in the heat (and possibly mequitoes) got the best of me. We dont do much overniting yet but we are out early and in late and like to anchor and enjoy a BBQ, sunset, some cool drinks and some quite time reading or enjoying the view. My Honda is quiet and doesnt move. A quick initial thought included some flex pipe to/near the water as mentioned and setting it as far forward as possible secured to the pulpit. This is only when moored for a piece. When underway would have to move it down below (a hassle no doubt but doable). With my Mac being a 22 with a motor hanging out the back dont know if I want to add more weight back there. Seem like it would be detrimental to sailing characteristics. Any thoughts on this from you or anyone would be much appreciated. I am in the process of making downstairs comfortable for overniters so the generator/fans is a timely and appealing idea.

Yep, a CO detector is a must.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Sumner

Two thing I would like to recommend--

Boating Encyclopedia: Smart Regulators .............and......How about a flex pipe or some way to direct the exhaust away from the cockpit and down to the water?
On the regulator I thought about building one like they tell you how to build here....

http://www.homepower.com/files/webextras/mark8.pdf

......but don't feel it would do me much good as I'm not using true 'deep cycle' batteries. Most of the RV batteries like I'm using are closer to car batteries and a car alternator does a pretty good job with them.

Right now I monitor the voltage before and during the charge. It is quick and easy to do. I got a LED ...............

........... amp meter like the digital volt meter that I use (in picture) that is good to .1 amp resolution, but didn't have time to install it. Once it is in I will be able to see the true charge rates and just stop when I get to diminishing returns, but I can pretty much do that now with the volt meter.

On the exhaust...........................

....... I do have a pipe that just hooks on with a spring that takes the exhaust fumes and most of the noise down to the water. The picture you saw was still in the building stage. The whole build starts here.....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/outside-13.html

.... I want to work on the exhaust some to see if I can quiet it even more and might try under water with it, but I'm concerned about back pressure on the exhaust in that situation. Most of the noise from the generator now is from vibration transmitted from the pushpit where it is down into the hull. I'm going to add rubber mounts to the engine and see how that does. I just ran out of time with some of this stuff (been pretty busy with the mods :)).

Right now with the solar panel installed on our 18 day trip once we were in an electrically rhythm I had to run the generator only about 15 minutes a day and didn't even use a whole tank of fuel during the trip. We are going to add a second solar panel as we are going to add a frig/freezer (true compressor frig). I still think that generator time will be 15 minutes a day or less, so I can't see much to gain there at this point by adding anything else to the system. Also my wiring and breaker is setup for a a 50 amp load.

Thanks for the input though,

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Status
Not open for further replies.