Sourcing window lenses

Dec 29, 2020
Catalina 30 Berkeley
I have a 1985 Catalina 30 and I would like to replace the window lenses on the 8 fixed windows. Catalina Direct only has them for 86 forward (very different), and they say they have been looking for them themselves. Does anyone have a suggestion of where I'm find the lenses?

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
I'm not sure they're different. I just replaced mine with the CD lenses (I have 1987), but according to lewmar, they're all the same from 82-98

And if you're worried about the note about being thicker, I was told by a window guy that it's one "trick" that he says helps old windows seal better after the old gasket is worn. The slightly thicker lenses will compress better.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I have a 1985 Catalina 30 and I would like to replace the window lenses on the 8 fixed windows. Catalina Direct only has them for 86 forward (very different), and they say they have been looking for them themselves. Does anyone have a suggestion of where I'm find the lenses?
Does your 85 has tempered glass lens? If so, they can be repolished if they are not broken. If they are broken, they will be in a million little pieces.
Many of the Mk1 boats with the aluminum flames, have converted to a frameless style of fixed port with acrylic lenses. The are surface mounted to the outside of the cabin house using 3m VHB tape to hold them in place then using Dow 795 adhesive to make a final seal and fill the voide around the edge. Here is an article on the process.

Dec 29, 2020
Catalina 30 Berkeley
Does your 85 has tempered glass lens? If so, they can be repolished if they are not broken. If they are broken, they will be in a million little pieces.
Many of the Mk1 boats with the aluminum flames, have converted to a frameless style of fixed port with acrylic lenses. The are surface mounted to the outside of the cabin house using 3m VHB tape to hold them in place then using Dow 795 adhesive to make a final seal and fill the voide around the edge. Here is an article on the process.
I'll know if they are glass as soon as I take one out of the frame. I'll consider polishing. Thanks for that. Regarding the acrylic alternative, are you suggesting that I get rid of the aluminum frames and go with the acrylic surface mounted ones? If so, what do I do with the opening in the fiberglass? Do those lenses come with some kind of trim?

Dec 29, 2020
Catalina 30 Berkeley
Here is a link to a post I created when I replaced the lenses on my 88. Going frameless on your Mk1 would be simular.
The big difference between our boats is what the whole in the fiberglass looks like on the inside. Yours has been nicely finished. On my boat the holes were roughly cut and not finished or trimmed in any way so without a frame it would look ghastly. I don't think I have it in me to use fiberglass to make it look nice.

I wonder if I could use the lenses to cut acrylic replacements the way you did. Do you think the curvature of the old lenses would present a problem? (I haven't worked with acrylic.)

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
The big difference between our boats is what the whole in the fiberglass looks like on the inside. Yours has been nicely finished. On my boat the holes were roughly cut and not finished or trimmed in any way so without a frame it would look ghastly. I don't think I have it in me to use fiberglass to make it look nice.

I wonder if I could use the lenses to cut acrylic replacements the way you did. Do you think the curvature of the old lenses would present a problem? (I haven't worked with acrylic.)
I have seen several Mk1 C30's that have gone with acrylic lenses surface mounted and then used the original aluminum inside piece to finish off the hole on the inside. Gives the boat a more modern look.