Source of AICW information

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
We are starting to toy with the notion of a trip up the coast for the summer, from FL to NC. I've read the threads here and elsewhere on the pros and cons of inside vs. outside, and we would likely do a mix of both. I'm starting to plan and research. Currently I'm spending most of my time on ActiveCaptain and OpenCPN

Many folks have recommended cruisersnet.net (aka Salty Southeast Cruisers Net), but I find the site to be not really user friendly, and in many cases not all that recent.

What is currently viewed as the best source of up-to-date AICW information? Something that would tell us, just for example, about any lingering effects from Hurricane Matthew last year.

In addition, which cruising guide(s) do you recommend for the FL to NC stretch?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Yeah, I hope that doesn't get expensive soon, and therefore go away 'cause people quit contributing.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I would also recommend "Skipper Bob" booklet. It's on regular paper so you can make notes on it.We also carry the "Waterway Guide" onboard. Between the three, trip planning becomes lots easier.

Jul 15, 2016
Gemini 105 MC Manteo, NC
Cruiser.net has suffered somewhat since the passing of Claibourne Young in 2014 but has a wealth of information and can be very helpful with trouble spots on the AICW. Just check the dates of the post. The right hand column can take you to the most recent posts for the area you are traveling, and always worth a look--things like bridge closings, storm damage and the like frequently show up here well before Active Captain has posted it.

I encourage you to travel both at ICW and "outside" where you feel comfortable. Bypassing all the bridges around Ft. Lauderdale is a good start! There are some offshore passages that are an easy day sail, for example Fernandina to St. Simons, while others such as Charleston, SC to Southport, NC that require an overnight. Pick your weather window and enjoy the sail!

When you reach NC, I do encourage you to get off the waterway from Oriental and sail the Neuse and Pamlico. Don't miss Ocracoke Island and Manteo- wonderful harbors and towns to visit and wide open sailing instead of ploughing "the ditch".