SOPA & PIPA Stopped (for now)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
That's great news.

The real downside is the mainstream mediots still don't report the dangerous provisions that the proposed laws included.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Stu:

There were right and left wingers that were behind this legistation. The problem with these things are the fact that they never read the legislation that they are supporting. There were a few (very few) supporters that must have finally realized that they should read the bill so the find out what is in it before voting. We have had a few of these issues over the past few years that have been voted on before they were read.

If most of this JUNK legislation was reviewed they would never make it past the committee stage.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
OK, here's a dumb question: Isn't that what they're there for? Darn, how persnickity for us to actually think that they'd read the sh*t they vote on.

Darn, I long for those thrilling days of yesteryear, like the Eisenhower Administration when there were actually different points of view instead of just the two things we have now: 1) if the other guy wants it, I'm against it; 2) power, power, power and damn the Constitution.

It's very chilling for those of us who read. And it does NOT matter which "side" you're on.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
At the risk of being too political, here is Nancy Pelosi telling us that the Health Care Bill had to be passed so we could find out what was in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoE1R-xH5To

Isn't this the way it all works?

BTW, next on the political agenda here in California is the hijacking of funds collected specifically for boating and boating interests. The RBOC collects money from fuel taxes and uses it exclusively for boating. It is self supporting and receives no additional state funding, so it doesn't cost the state anything. Gov. Brown wants to take that money and distribute it to the Parks and Recreation department. Bad idea (again).

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Allan:

I work for the State of Nevada, this tactic is know as snatch-n-grab. I think it is a very poor way to run an organization, but they continue to do it. It has nothing to do with the political party either. They are all guilty!

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
Unfortunately it will be back and it should concern everyone. NDAA passed and was signed new years day this year without fanfare after we were assured by the president he wouldn't sign it. Where were all the protests when the congress was dismantling Habeas Corpus and Posse Comitatus? I'm not going to dive into politics other than to say...it will be back and buried in some other bill. How long until our second amendment is taken away too? It doesn't matter if you lean left or right...Watch carefully what's going on and don't forget to think for yourself. Practice the forgotten art of critical thinking and ignore the talking heads on TV/cable news.

Can we go sailing yet? I really want to watch the sunset at anchor while BBQing a sausage and peppers while sipping a cold beer. so much more fun than realizing your watching a repeat of history.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
It is still there?

That's great news.

The real downside is the mainstream mediots still don't report the dangerous provisions that the proposed laws included.
- - - - // - - - -

I notice that original posting by Capt Herring is still at top of 'ask all sailors'. This is of course a way of keeping his topic on top of list (right Phil).

And this topic is political and should be in 'War Room' or under its very own topic heading.

Let us understand what a post modernist is. As follows:

Post modernist is a trendy word for someone who believes that there are not really absolute facts, but merely competing ideas and discourses. “

"Rules are not sacrosanct. Instead, they are mere embedded reflections of wealthy, white, and male privilege — dressed up in some bogus timeless concept of “justice.”

"A few critical and progressive minds among the elite have the ability to spot these fictions. And those elite have a duty on our behalf to use their training to make the necessary corrections, even if the rest of us don’t quite fathom what is going on."

That is we who use this forum are subject to rules and whims of select elite who are outside of the set rules.

Ed K

Attachments