Sometimes it the little things

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
We bought '92 Hunter 33.5 last fall and are having a ball with it this summer.

I've done a few things to it but nothing big. I replaced changed the oil & filter, replaced the head pump assembly, replaced the fenders, replaced a couple of hatch arms, added a midship cleat, added a furling line cleat, and am currently working on a project to improve the ventilation while in the slip. This one little upgrade, though, might just be the one that's the most satisfying.

The PO had a band of white tape to mark center rudder on the wheel. I wanted something I could find by feel. After looking about the interwebs for ideas, I came across a video on how to make a Turks head knot. After buying the paracord and fid, it didn't take long to make this:

TurksHead.jpg

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
Very nice and I like the color.

I spent a winter and did a complete wrap of my wheel finishing with a turks head similar to yours for feel. Sorry no pictures but it was a fun project to both research and work on. It took about 40 hours to wrap the entire wheel, using good nylon cord and then I finished with the turks head and sealed everything with clear varathane.

Again, nice job!!

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
Nice job! I never found a good video of how to do a Turks head knot. Did something similar but knot (misspelling intentional) impressed by what I did.

Oct 3, 2014
Nice job! I never found a good video of how to do a Turks head knot. Did something similar but knot (misspelling intentional) impressed by what I did.
Here's the video I used. I practiced this twice on a PVC pipe before doing this on the wheel. Though I'm not a crafty person, I rather enjoyed this project. Probably because I was able to sit in the warm sun, cold beverage by my side, and take my time. Now I need to find some more things I can do with the leftover paracord.

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
Thanks for posting the video. I've got some work to do!!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Nice looking knot! I can still see the tape glue residue on my wheel.. the Turk's Head is a bit more classy !

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
So what keeps that knot from sliding around on the slick SS wheel?

Oct 3, 2014
So what keeps that knot from sliding around on the slick SS wheel?
Right now just the tension of the knot. After tying the knot to the side of the existing tape I tightened it up, then slid it over the tape. However slight that increase in diameter was from the tape, I did have to push a bit harder to get it over it, further increasing the tension.

We'll see how it holds up. I'm going to bring some sort of glue with me this weekend to try to seal it together but that's more to keep the ends from fraying than anything else. The ends are tucked under and twisted the back side. There may be enough tension that nothing else is needed.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
If your wheel was wrapped, that knot would stay in place. Also, you could use double sided tape to keep it in place. My wife got me a wheel wrap for my birthday. She struggled with it for hours because the holes would not stay lined up. She had it 1/3 done, but the holes were driving her crazy!
I did it over, and I simply doubled the stitch whenever they started to get out of line. It came out wonderfully. After a couple days, it relaxed a little, so I added another stitch the the end.
Now I am gonna add that Turks Head!
Thanks!