Sometimes a chicken is too big for the pot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
I bet if you ask the general population if they know how to do that more than 75% will say no! Its a shame.

Attachments

Apr 1, 2007
Hunter 34 Nashville TN
Re: somrtimes a chicken is too big for the pot.

He sure had a sharp knife. If I was doing that there would have been a finger or two in with the chicken.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.

I was taught that 58 years ago.

Duke

Sep 27, 2008
Morgan 321 Gilbertsville, KY

If your knife wont cut up a chicken you need to learn how to put an edge on it. A dull knife will hurt more if you if it slips and you cut yourself. With a sharp knife you do not have to use so much force. And, if you do cut your self it will be a cleaner cut.. less tearing.
Duke

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada

My uncle taught me how to do the same thing with a rabbit. First we caught the rabbit with my ferret.
Was one of the first things you were taught never use a dull knife. It was with me.

Mar 14, 2012
Beneteau Oceanis 40CC Brisbane, CA

I do it a bit different. Wings and thighs are pretty much the same but after I remove the back I take the breasts off without splitting the sternum and just leave the rib cage pretty much full for the stock pot.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004

Dantodd,That is also a good method. Anouther is the stand the bird on it neck and slice down each side of the spine from the tail and remove the spine. Then remove the sternum and lay the bird flat with bones down and roast it that way

Mar 14, 2012

That's the way I always do it. Kinda funny to watch it in slow motion for a video like that. I'm kinda slow and it it takes me a little over a minute a bird. I've watched people work at around 45 seconds per bird and I'm sure there are much faster knives out there.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe

This is great stuff. I have been doing this for years, self taught, but it's really nice to see the technique from a pro. My biggest problem is that I can do one side easily, but always struggle with the other.

My wife's grandmother could do one in under a minute and she always used very small knives. It was a treat to watch her- an old farm mother- work her way around the kitchen.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004

These chickens were on sale up against their sell-by date. I paid 60 cents per pound. I bought four for a 30 pound total. I pointed them out to a woman nearby who was looking a cut-up pieces. I asked if she could do her own cutting she said yes but that she didn't have time. The cut pieces ranged to 3.50 per pound. ???

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe

Maybe it would cut into her facebook time.

Mar 14, 2012
These chickens were on sale up against their sell-by date. I paid 60 cents per pound. I bought four for a 30 pound total. I pointed them out to a woman nearby who was looking a cut-up pieces. I asked if she could do her own cutting she said yes but that she didn't have time. The cut pieces ranged to 3.50 per pound. ???
Didn't realize that was you in the videos. Yes. It really makes to sense to buy cut up chickens. If you only want one part you can always freeze the rest and then you have plenty of whatever parts you want when it's time. I love to fry the "tenderloin" in cornflake crumbs. And stores charging a premium for toss-away wings is disgusting.

I don't save the innards though. I LOVE fried chicken livers but you can buy a little bucket of those for nothing and the ones you don't cook make great catfish bait.

Aug 16, 2006
Ericson 32 Oregon coast
Whew ! I thought that I was missing something. I kept

waiting for the humorous part or something that pertained to cooking on a boat.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Re: Whew ! I thought that I was missing something. I kept

It does pertain to cooking on a boat. After you get the meat off the bones you cut it into thumb thick strips, marinate it, skewer it and grill it.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Re: Ross, uh, yeah, real nautical. Thanks for clearing that

Well Cap'n what do you eat on the boat? Hard tack and salt beef?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Ross......... very informative.... however... the phone ringing and wife talking in the background is distracting to your excellent presentation I would suggest letting her hold the camera (you did wander off center a bit) and to silence the phones during the shoot. Other wise.... bring it on... how about some of your great advice on pressure cooking and food preservation... I'd like that.. and it is boat/cruising related. Thanks.

MrBee

Dec 30, 2008
Irwin 34 Citation Middle River, Md.
I know Ross does a lot of canning and my wife and I do some also.
In preparation for our June run to Cape May we have Beef tips, Meatballs - both seasoned & with sauce, Bar-b-Q ribs, yep you got it I smoked some ribs a few months ago and she canned a few. We have also Canned home Smoked Salmon, Ham and Green beans, Ect. Ect.
You can't believe how much less ice we use.

SO how to butcher a chicken is related to sailing, at least for some of us..

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.