something stinks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2009
2 30 FOOT ST PETERSBURG FL.
bad odor coming from v-berth area of my 84 30' Lancer.
seems wife pumped waste from the head into the holding tank that was full. i think she broke some kind of seal because "you know what" is leaking out of the top of the tank. not sure how i'm going to seal it and am wondering why i can't find a through hull that vents the tank. there should be one right?"

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Definitely should be one. She probably pumped waste up the vent too. There should be a vent on deck near the fill or even through the side of the hull. They are usually not more than a half inch. I have heard of water tank vents run up to the vee berth, but not waste vents. Check your anchor locker anyway to see if they ran it there.

Jul 6, 2009
Thanks

Thanks Bob. I'll check that out. By the way. thanks for your faithfulness to this site. When my wife over pumped the head she asked me what i thought was wrong. I said "I don't know, i guess i'll ask Bob" You've been there for so many of us.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Re: Thanks

Thanks for the appreciation. I'll stick to the basics on this one though and hand you over to Peggy if things get ugly! Big lesson learned for your Wife. Sh!t under pressure is not a desireable situation. Call for the plumber if it takes more than three strokes to empty the bowl! He will certainly thank you for it.

Hopefully I learned my lesson about holding tanks...pump early and pump often. This year I had to handle the boat solo when bringing the boat over to the dock to haul her. To complicate matters I needed to pump out the holding tank as well. That is accomplished easily by calling for the pump out boat during the season. After the season...not so much. I don't dock much, as I am on a mooring. Long story short...docked near the pump station beautifully...took twenty minutes and a phone call to the harbormaster to locate the pump nozzle to fit my boat and to figure out how to operate the pump. Rinsed the heck out of the tank as the sun was beginning to set. Tidied up and then hopped on board to motor over to a nearby marina for haul out and realized shortly that I was firmly aground with the falling tide. I posted the longer and more amusing version a few months ago if you care to laugh more heartily at my misfortune LOL.

It would have been MUCH easier if I had pumped out earlier. So, my new rule is that if solids go into the holding tank they are to be promptly pumped out. The boat will smell better and there will no doubt be less hassles in the long run.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Re: Thanks

On the plus side you know your joker valve is in great shape if it is able to apply that much pressure.

Feb 15, 2010
Lancer 30' 1985 great neck, n.y.
Hi Jack, Wrote a post re your holding tanks problem and lost it upon sending...I own a 1985 Lancer 30, which i believe has same layout as
your '84...if you still have question on vent I think it might exit at top
of transom port side along side vent for fuel tank. Hopefully you have
resolved your other problem with tank leak, if not let me know as I
might be able to give some insight. Good luck. Hugo

Jul 6, 2009
Hugosalt...still Can't Find

Hey Mon. Thanks For The Reply. Looked But Still Can't Find Vent. Unfortunately My Marina Tried To Do Me A Favor And Pumped It Out For Me When I Wasn't There. I Had Hoped I Would Be Able To Hear Something During The Pump Out. I've Tried Looking In The Anchor Locker And Near The Motor Compartment Vent But Nothing. Any Other Ideas? I Open!

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Re: Hugosalt...still Can't Find

It could exit out the side of the hull near the toe rail too. Look for a small diameter line, say 1/2 inch, and follow it from the tank.

Jul 6, 2009
smellin' good again

thanks for your help guys. finally found where the potty vent exits the boat. high on the port side of the transom. cleaned the line, resealed the holding tank and "all's well that don't smell"
boat in primo shape for the season. Heading to the dry tortugas 4/16. 1st trip out of sight of land. a little anxious. Thanks again for you help. Jack

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Re: smellin' good again

Glad you figured it out. I was wondering how you were making out with it. Enjoy your island adventure. Just remember to file a float plan. Looks like there will be plenty of help available if you need it. Fort Jefferson is totally awesome. I really have to go see Castle Island in Boston, home to Fort Independence, some day. I usually only see it from the water. If you get too close you could get to see Sea Tow too LOL.

Feb 15, 2010
Lancer 30' 1985 great neck, n.y.
Re: details on holding tank
Glad you resolved holding tank issues, went to the boat and refreshed
memory on holding tank.. the holding tank, under port settee, is made
of fiberglass with a alum. top...which is sealed and screwed. If you look
under the starboard settee storage area, you will see the mirror image of the holding tank without the top. (notice the bevel which the alum top fits in) Point of info...the water tank forward of the holding tank center, is made the same way. Sorry info is late in coming.
Enjoy your cruise! Hugo

Status
Not open for further replies.