Something is very wrong I'm told....(help please?)

Feb 5, 2019
Macgregor 26x cranston ri
I am completely new to this... 1st boat...purchased from widow of owner.carefully following directions.....the 'crowd' at marina says 'Kevin, you have something way off...it just doesn't look right' Attached is picture of mast 'base' after we raised and bolted everything down .cables were perfect length.....everyone's thoughts please?
My sincerest thanks from Dad and his kids

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Khanlon,
Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with your boat, but nothing stands out as amiss. The step looks centered, it folds down towards the stern where the bolt channel is. There is, perhaps, more rake than usual, but that is a matter of preference and some boats are just designed to have a lot of rake.
Was there something that seems particularly concerning?

Welcome to SBO. Soon enough another Mac owner will be along to offer a more informed opinion.
Good luck, but I don't think you have anything to really be concerned about.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Do you have a pic from further back, showing the rake of the mast? I'm with Will. Nothing looks terribly amiss at the step. Maybe the rake is way off. Kind of looks like that might be the issue.

Feb 5, 2019
Thanks soo much for your reply........Well, my mast is leaning further back than any sailboat nearby, .. and when other boater walk by, they all seem to point to the fact that the mast is not sitting flush on the hinge(GAP!)...and that there is an additional GAP between the hinge and the base....and they have me nodding my head yes, if there were no gaps , things would look more secure....the only item that seems secure is the base itself...bolted tightly on top of the boat

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Ok. First, and foremost, that bolt at the bottom just keeps the mast foot in place. The rigging keeps the mast secure. If the rigging isn't right, you will tear that mast base apart (or your deck).

Is all of the rigging tight now? And, is the mast still standing?

Feb 5, 2019
This is an old picture...but if I loosened the bolt, I would have this sea-saw..or toggling action...wheres it just seams to me...the hinge should fit FLAT on the base ....no wiggle room, and I would put the 3/8 bolt through and that would be that...

Attachments

Feb 5, 2019
YES! the rigging that came with the boat measured perfectly....and the mast is secure: 1 in front, 1 in rear, 4 (2 each on side upper and lower spreaders
)

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
This is not your problem. The rigging does not appear to be the proper length for the various members. Are the cables tight?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
With all respect, this isn’t something you want to rely on a few pictures looked at by strangers to decide if it’s a problem which might be dangerous.

Take the boat to one of the yards in Warwick or East G and have someone inspect it properly.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
cables may be connnected wrong? fwd and rear lowers, and cap shrouds are connected where?

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Agree, that's why I was asking if the mast was still up and the rigging was tight. I was afraid it might fall.

Feb 5, 2019
yes, the best match up of anything... that matched up perfectly were the cables!

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Do you have a picture of the boat from enough distance to show the mast position/angle vs the hull?

Feb 5, 2019
Am i married to these 2 pieces ...the hinge that attaches to the mast ....and the base (tabernacle?)
are there other options for this mast?

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Your mast is not seated into the step. This step looks very similar to the H260 step on a friends boat. You only need the bolt on the hinge side of the mast step and through the mast portion. You can remove the forward bolt as it may be hanging up on that. When the mast is up the step should be flush like the picture you have in post #14. You need to figure out why it's not flush. It could be just a bent bolt, hanging up on a screw head, bent mast adaptor, etc... But in your first post you mast is certainly not all the way up yet.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
To reiterate a little more bluntly, before you kill someone, stop the internet chatting and find a local yard that can actually make an educated assessment. There are a dozen yards within 15 minutes of Cranston.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
New mast. Original was mangled by a fallen tree. His rig is tight and is not going to fall - verified by marina personnel. He plans to get pro help to adjust the rig.

Feb 5, 2019
Thanks guys...should have explained a little more clearly....the part that has everyone baffled is the pic I posted re: the mast base and the visual of it not seated flush to the mast hinge, and it's seating on the base itself....and I believe 'Lake Shark' hit it one the head....bent piece....
More than 1/2 a dozen guys went around the boat and inspected the rigging to make sure everything was tight and secure......after they determine an exact angle, if it's over the 94 degrees, I'll let pro make the adjustment.