Someone boarded us while we were gone

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is interesting even when the CG who wield the authority to board a boat any time any place, we owners have differing reactions from recognition to why here, why now, why ever.

I watched an unannounced threat exercise on my dock a couple of years ago when the CG stormed the docks In teams and not only stormed past the boat owners on the dock but climbed up on a few boats in search of a package.

It was a surprise of authoritative force.

When it occurs without authority it is worth a discussion. Leaving a note is an interesting element to the discussion. What would be the response if the individual was aboard when you returned to the boat?

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
What would be the response if the individual was aboard when you returned to the boat?
Me, walking out of 7-11 one summer day in 1987 and seeing a stranger leaning against my classic '68 Buick convertible: 'I gotta say, I really admire you.'
Stranger [not moving]: 'What? -me?'
Me: 'Yeah; you've got everything going for you. You're young, and living in the moment; but you've planning for the future.'
Stranger: 'What the f---?'
Me: 'Like, clearly, you've already written out your WILL, so that everything's taken care of after I KILL YOU for leaning on MY CAR.'
Stranger (remember this is New Jersey): 'F---, man....' [skulks away]

Today:
My boat is my home. Anyone boarding without express permission (exceptions pertain only to sincere Good Samaritans, contracted service providers, and duly-authorized law enforcement) receives the full extent of my vengeance.

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
1) What is a "support flag?" Just curious.
2) Any chance they could have placed the note without climbing aboard? Maybe pull up beside and drop it off?
3) I agree it's more like going on your porch than entering your house. Uncalled for either way, just like leaving a note when you don't agree with a political sign in someone's yard. But not illegal an not something to call the cops over unless they left a threat.

Lots to people have political bumper stickers, and don't expect notes on their cars. I have strong views but don't do the bumper sticker thing, and am not about to put something similar on my boat. I do believe in free speech so fly whatever sticker/sign/flag you want. I'm way less bothered by that than the idiots blasting stereos making everyone listen to their music.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
This is not surprising, I won't show my support because I do not wish to endanger my family. I'll show my support at the polls and will never support anyone's cause or issues that has a violent attitude toward others. I will be better and encourage like mind to also be better then those who are like this.

Oct 10, 2019
Signet 20 0 Ithaca
Yea, it's funny, here at the southern end of Cayuga Lake in upstate New York (that's Ithaca, y'all, unofficial slogan: "30 square miles surrounded by reality"), there's this guy with a go fast boat, keeps in in the public marina, and he flies a giant Stars and Bars and an equally giant trump keep America great flag 24/7. On busy days on the lake all summer, he would motor out nice and slow to just beyond the dolphin and just sit there, where everybody coming and going would be sure to see him. Blaring his stupid music. For hours. Seemed pretty obvious his intentions are to troll everybody here, I mean, it's Ithaca. His in your face display is just trying to be divisive and confrontational. Now that's certainly not true for everybody who flies those banners, but around here, it's hard not to feel attacked.

Now, I would never do anything about it, I just sail on by, and I ignore his boat in the marina, but it's a sad statement on the current conditions in this country that I can't even go out for a quiet sail without getting the finger from some guy who doesn't respect me. I would never give him the finger over his politics, that's just not how I am.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
When I access someones property, I always leave a note in an obscure location that says "Could have taken it".

As far as the note, I'd turn around and invest in a much bigger flag.

Blaring his stupid music. For hours.
I was OK until this sentence. One's freedom ends where they encroach on someone else. I don't have to look at one's sign, but I can't avoid someone else's music.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
"
The IMO clarifies the position further with a separate definition for armed robbery against ships as follows:
1) Any illegal act of violence or detention or any act of depredation, or threat thereof, other than an act of piracy, committed for private ends and directed against a ship or against persons or property on board such a ship, within a State’s internal waters, archipelagic waters and territorial sea;
2) Any act of inciting or of intentionally facilitating an act described above."

It is illegal to board a vessel without the permission of the owner, master or crew. There are international maritime laws against piracy and stowaways that make boarding a vessel without permission illegal unless your intent is to save property or life. Massachusetts has a maximum fine of fifty dollars for boarding a boat without permission.

However, for me, I wouldn't have any great objection to someone stepping aboard my boat unless they did harm of some sort or went below. I wouldn't like it and I wouldn't ever do it, but people are often uninformed and thoughtless. One has to allow for others just being ignorant.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 10, 2019
Signet 20 0 Ithaca
Ya ya, don't get me wrong, my guy on Cayuga is 100% within his rights, even blaring his choice of music out on the lake if it's below 80 db(!) doesn't violate any laws, I'm just pointing out that he is intentionally being an a-hole, just for the joy of being an a-hole.

And I could raise a rainbow flag with a BLM flag and some YangGang stickers, with or without a stars and bars, and drift next to him blaring Raffi if I wanted to, which I don't. I just want some peace and quiet, but neither of those are enshrined in the constitution.

Ultimately, being a troll is in the eye of the beholder, ain't it?

Nuff said by me, see y'all...