Someone boarded us while we were gone

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Had an interesting trip to Catalina Island two weeks ago. Was a miserable crossing, probably the worst in our 29 trips. But we persisted and went to Cherry Cove. The weather was brilliant for days on end. We visited, dived, swam, had a few sundowners with friends and new friends. We flew a couple of flags. One was our beloved US flag. Another one was a support flag. There were many in all of the Harbors. No biggie. Just showing patriotism. Well as we left, my wife found a ziplock bag in our winch holder. It was a note. Someone had waited until we were gone to board us and leave a note that showed their disgust of our flag. BOARDED us while we weren't there. It accused us of racism, and that the Island is a conservancy and that we should be shamed for flying our support flag. Said "how dare we fly the US flag with the other one". Now I wont call them cowards, or racists, or just scared little people who wait to ..... I just wonder whats next? Is my boat part of their property somehow? By the way William Wrigley supported Warren Harding, a Republican for President. Hmmmm

What do you guys think? I really think that was a sailor's "horse thief" move personally. I should have just called the Harbor Police but I decided it wasnt worth it. Dont want Catalina to get any kind of that "press".

Cheers

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Thin Blue Line Flag? Regardless, boarding your boat is so far over the top....

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Thin Blue Line Flag? Regardless, boarding your boat is so far over the top....
Thanks Rick.. regardless, hope you are well old friend. I recently retired. Just want my Catalina to be a safe haven where we can all talk, mostly NOT about politics. But I dont want it to become the other crap we see day to day.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Craziness of people who have no idea that your opinion is as valid as theirs, and that the boat is like your residence.. should not be violated without permission.. I would have reported it over channel 16 and to the local law enforcement folks..

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
@dlochner is correct about the political aspects. However, there are two events being discussed here. One is the boarding 'f a boat that does not belong to you. I won't even board a boat to stop halyard slap. But I will board a boat it I see something wrong that could be a danger to the boat or other boats.

Now the politic side. Yes I see that also however it appears to be the minor event of the two events being discussed. So we should keep it that way. I look at the members who are responding and you guys are really OLD TIMERS. You have been through several iterations of the SBO forums. So I know that you know that knowing what to discuss is to be considered taboo. (What did I just say there?)

So carry one with moments where you had to board another boar for a safety reason, or even if you had stuff removed from your boat. I know I can say my whisker pole vanished one day. Tick me off I had to buy a new one.

PS - I still haven't made it out to Catalina Is.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Reading the OP again, perhaps this was not a boarding at all; but maybe they tossed a message into the cockpit from a dinghy? Unless it was taped or placed somewhere to indicate otherwise, (politics aside) I’d consider that no worse than a note placed on your windshield wiper.

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Thank you Don. I gave some background so people could get an idea of why this might have happened. It was no political statement. I never mentioned a name on the flag. Its about mutual respect and respecting someone else's property. Something everyone has a right to. Funny how some think I need to live my life like they want. I just thought it was sad that people just cant control their anger.

Cheers

I posted this in the Sails Call Lounge which is completely appropriate

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Would you actually call the police and report that someone boarded your boat and left you a note you didn't like?
If someone went walking through my house uninvited I think I would call the police. If someone opened my car door in my driveway overnight I think I would too. I don’t see why it being a boat or that they left a note behind would mitigate that. The police might shake their head and say there’s nothing they can do since they don’t know who it was, but that doesn’t make it ok behavior.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
Yea, I'm not buying the analogy. From here, seems a lot more like somebody came onto your porch and stuck a note into the screen door saying "you're an *******" than a B&E.

I'm not condoning it, I stay out of politics and social commentary, and off of other people's boats, just sounds like a tempest in a tea cup.
We had a few people flying flags in support of their favorite presidential candidate last weekend. Frankly, I wish they would not have as it felt like an intrusion (a big FU) to a place I value for the peace and serenity. Same here on this site.

Last edited: