Some work in the galley,...

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I never liked the way the galley was redone when the boat was repowered in the 70's. The counter stayed the same but the new engine was longer and protruded into the galley. But it worked so with other more pressing projects, I've lived with it. This slanted panel protrudes a good 6" forward into the space, as you see here just to the left of the sink.

In putting in a new, used engine, same model, I was able to free up a little space removing an extra alternator. The newer engine has a shorter water pump as well. Still, it breaks the plane of the foward edge of the galley.

Here's the plan. I took measurements under the cover and put them onto my CAD program to work up a better idea. A new section of fixed bulkhead to replace the original and now cut up section to the right, could hold a hopper. This would have a longer door to tilt forward with the open top hopper behind. Not a big compartment, but could perhaps hold the trash(now accomplished with a tall kitchen plastic bin that sits next to the ladder-kind of in the way).

The slanted removable panel could then be replaced with a new one built as drawn. It would bump out in the middle to allow the space for the engine. Instead of slanting, a shelf with fiddles on top would have some function. The bump out would have a new door that would open to a small amount of storage (we could use more with only one drawer in the table) as shown in the sectional view.

This panel would easily remove, as does the ladder, for engine access. Plus, it would be recessed below the bump out to hopefully be less of an intrusion for feet in the galley. A small change, but maybe worth the effort. Built and finished as the rest of the boat with mahogany doors with the same rail and stile frame around ply.

Attachments

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
A mock up seemed wise.

So I put a quick one together. Good thing, it took 4 trips to the boat to get the mock up working. I think this will work. The bin to the right will be a little small but I think it will work holding trash. This section will be fixed and very strong. The middle section will be easily removable (as is the ladder of course) and stoutly fixed in place.

The door over the engine bump out area will not have a lot of storage behind, but anything helps onboard. A couple shallow shelves maybe.

It feels better than the slanted panel(which would tilt you) and comes out a bit less into the galley. The small shelf on top will be fiddled. Perhaps to hold a glass of wine while you do the dishes?

Best part is visually this puts things back in line with the counter top, with a bumped out door below.

Only thing left to do is build it in the next couple months.

Attachments

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Starting to build.

Boats move so I'm using mortise and tenon joints for best strength. My lumber supplier in town always has a good stock of mahogany on hand. It's 8.69 a board foot today.

Attachments

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
The parts are coming together.

This is after a first sealer coat. The top shelf(foreground) gets fiddles same as Alden did on the other shelves onboard. I built the door the same with a solid mahogany rail and stile framing a plywood panel. This is a nice functional clean design that they used in 1961. The panel is stable and the hardwood frame protects the edges which always chip on plywood doors. I found that piece of mahogany in the dumpster at the boat builder down the hill. I'm sure it came from ADVENTURESS out of Newport, that's been mostly gutted to allow rebuilding. My gain. Took pains to line up the veneer cuts. It cleaned up nicely.

Attachments

SKraft

Oct 15, 2010
Love the way you matched the grain. Beautiful work. If I see more photos of your work, I might just need to tackle a refinishing of Bounding Home's interior. Its a job that is 45 years past due!

Scott Kraft

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Finally finished.

The pieces fit well. The one on the right with the trash bin is permanently screwed in. The middle section has a rabbet cut in the top that fits a rabbetted cleat screwed into the underside of the counter. Fit the head and swing the bottom into position against a cleat at the base. Two barrel bolts (invisible under the bump out) lock it in place. Stronger than the previous arrangement.It seems comfortable to use the sink or stove now as this doesn't protrude as far as the previous tilted panel.

The trash bin tilts on a wood "hinge" at the base. Simply a cleat that pivots on the rail below that is radiused. It has a stop on the back. It stays open empty or full. You can pull the bag to change and fit a new one around the dovetailed edge that holds it snuggly. Push to close, gravity locks it in place.

To remove, spin the latch on the back and pick it up and the bin and door easily come out. This give better access to the sink seacock and a few other things. It opens a few inches on starboard tack when the gimballs are swinging, no problems any other time.

There is a small amount of space behind the larger center door. Enough for a cutting board, maybe an oven pan or two. I was going to back it with plywood when I thought of polycarbonate. I know it's strong, I found it has good heat resistance. Come to find out, it also has good sound deadening properties, 1/4" equivalent to an inch of wood. What the hell? Why not see the running engine?

Kids will love it. They'll think I'm Bill Nye the science guy,....

Attachments

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
One thing leads to another.

The companionway ladder suddenly looked tired so I pulled that with the idea of stripping and refinishing. I'm an avid archeologist of design and build stuff and stairways hold a special fascination for me as a home design builder.

Ladders and steps into a boat cabin might not draw much attention but few things get as much use on board. Ladders and stairs are one of the more dangerous things at home. I suspect in boats they cause some accidents.

A nice attribute to old Aldens is their low freeboard. That translates into a not too dangerous distance from bridgedeck to cabin sole(and also their beautiful form on the water). 3 steps totaling just over 3 feet in my boats case.

This ladder is the standard I'm assuming Alden drew for the Challengers. The craftsmen at Molich were phenomenal! But I expect they were following closely Aldens plans for the ladder. It looks quite simple yet I'm sure it's an experienced design. I think about this stuff (a bore for some, I'm sure). With a 1000 boats designed, a ladder has some experience when it came to 949.

It's always felt safe and secure tending to capture feet in a seaway. Plus the cleats which are proud of the treads give great grip with bare feet or shoes. I can't think of anyone yet that has slipped or fallen on this ladder.

As I stripped it, I found it still very strong, no loose joints as you would expect from the 1" treads dadoed into the 1" stringers.

The wear of 50 years of seasonal use was in the tread nosings. Each center area worn deeply from foot traffic. I could see the nosings (3) were screwed into the treads and countersunk flush with #12 FH screws. That's not standard Alden practice, they countersunk and plugged screws nearly universally, almost to a fault with a few pieces I think should have anticipated timely removal.

I wonder if that practice was because these nosings would wear and would be replaced? It makes little sense to build it this way unless that was the case. Here's a shot of the stripped ladder with new nosings installed.

The nosings were shaped with tongue in groove connections to the treads. The 3 came off without too much damage. The cleats fit into 1/2" deep or so plows into the treads. The outer cleats were as worn as the nosings and fell out when the nosings were removed.

I copied the old nosings and cut T&G connections as well as plowed out a new recess that would take new cleats. More effort than I had planned but it seems worth it. I added more screws and countersunk and plugged them. One coat of sealer brings out the old woods beauty. The new wood will blend in with a little time and use.

Old wood responds to finish again just like it did the first time only, it's even more amazing after it's aged.

Attachments

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
I thought I was done with this, then I ripped out one last

piece of delamenated plywood that was riddled with the holes of long gone gizmos. With changing the things below, I needed to relocate the windlass breaker panel. This was the logical place. But I also found some needed storage space.

About 6" behind and plenty below. So I built a box that to fit behind that hangs below the counter as well(and another bloody door).

It's all back together.

Attachments

Jul 26, 2010
Sweet! It looks like living inside a piece of fine furniture. I like the wooden treads on the stairs as a classy and functional touch. My stairs are now refinished bare wood with epoxy and varnish, too pretty to step on, slick and too deadly . Currently covered with cardboard for daily boots, but not ready for sea. I was thinking of tacking on some non-slip flooring or something, but I like the cleats.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Could be just my feet, but after some use, I find the varnished cleats have plenty of grip.

I found the same with varnishing the sole years ago. Many said it would be a hazzard but we've got all the grip we need with or without shoes moving around below, in a seaway. Challengers are nice in that the spaces are small enough to use your hands as much as your feet.

Another thing that has worked out better than expected is the Lexan panel over the engine. Not only does it give me an easy check, the new arrangement has quieted the engine a bit more.

Here it is ticking away.....crazy.....

Attachments