Some technical details of epoxy use.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I’ve not done any epoxy work in quite some time so I’m likely out of date but when I was making my own windsurfers etc. I always tried to work in fairly warm, less humid conditions as the process was much more predictable from a timing perspective. The cure time also seemed to change quite a bit by working in cooler temps. The end result didn’t seem to suffer, just the wait time between stages was different - days vs hours.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
First I do not accept cookies and avoid going any further. I am not aware of newer epoxies but in my day as a dealer, they did not work on ACP MATERIALS.

Sep 5, 2018
Hunter 170 Northfield, NJ
Dave you should be aware that you almost all the websites have cookies of some sort. You are getting asked about cookies a lot recently because of a court ruling in the EU about cookie acceptance. This has required established websites to formally tell you about the cookies and also, in some cases, opt out of them.

As for the epoxy, I am doing some repair work on wood and would like to use epoxy. I came across the above website and felt there may be some others here who would like to learn more about them.

The only epoxy I use for the ACP is the plexus MA300. I need to do a little more work with that epoxy too, but that will wait for warmer weather.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
When you are not specific in this case about wood, then that is another case. However Plexsus is basically not epoxy but different to be able to mend with plastics. Will not get technical here; however, base epoxy did not adhere to either ACP or Plexsus.

My information and repair techniques came from the founder of JY boats and experiencing working on them. At times Hunter came to me on how to repair. Document what you do and respond on detail after completion of repairs 6 months later. Suggest in layman’s terms.

As for the EU, I am an American first , not EU. There were many American lives givento defend Europe in WW I and WW II. Today I look what they have done to us taking advantage of this Nation

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
First I do not accept cookies and avoid going any further. I am not aware of newer epoxies but in my day as a dealer, they did not work on ACP MATERIALS.
Dave, don’t sweat the cookies thing. This is technical so I’m going to explain it in simple terms. HTTP (or HTTPS for secure) is the protocol of the WWW. It is a “stateless” protocol which means that between user clicks a web server has no way to know whether you are still there. Web sites that require a login to identify users as unique, or web servers that ask users to fill out a form of any type need to track those users from one click to the next screen. There are several ways to do it but one of the MOST SECURE ways to do it is with the use of cookies (which are unique text character strings) that the users web browser can accept and store (if user allows) and which can be read by the web site. The EU privacy laws are stricter than US laws (we are no longer the land of the “right to privacy”) and some cookies are also used to track users between sites, for the purpose of serving ads that are relevant to the interests of the user. (Targetable ads to users with relevant content are more valuable to advertisers than randomly distributing ads). Yes, cookie tracking without advising the user could be viewed as a privacy concern, so that’s why users are required to warned under EU laws, but that doesn’t mean the web site is doing anything nefarious- in this case it means the web site allows you to be Cray Dave without logging into the web site every time you visit.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
As for the EU, I am an American first , not EU. There were many American lives givento defend Europe in WW I and WW II. Today I look what they have done to us taking advantage of this Nation
Take that bs back to sailing anarchy. People like you forget that america was 13 colonies, 13 separate nations with unique currencies that felt they were stronger cooperating versus competing.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Dave, don’t sweat the cookies thing. This is technical so I’m going to explain it in simple terms. HTTP (or HTTPS for secure) is the protocol of the WWW. It is a “stateless” protocol which means that between user clicks a web server has no way to know whether you are still there. Web sites that require a login to identify users as unique, or web servers that ask users to fill out a form of any type need to track those users from one click to the next screen. There are several ways to do it but one of the MOST SECURE ways to do it is with the use of cookies (which are unique text character strings) that the users web browser can accept and store (if user allows) and which can be read by the web site. The EU privacy laws are stricter than US laws (we are no longer the land of the “right to privacy”) and some cookies are also used to track users between sites, for the purpose of serving ads that are relevant to the interests of the user. (Targetable ads to users with relevant content are more valuable to advertisers than randomly distributing ads). Yes, cookie tracking without advising the user could be viewed as a privacy concern, so that’s why users are required to warned under EU laws, but that doesn’t mean the web site is doing anything nefarious- in this case it means the web site allows you to be Cray Dave without logging into the web site every time you visit.
Dave, also know that in america every web page you have ever been to is saved on a corporate server to be sold to anyone interested. There are unique identifiers on just about all hardware (phone, laptops, fitbit, bluetooth headphobez, etc...)that tracks you going anywhere, even in incognito mode. At any time a search order can pretty much build a skeleton of your life just by matching the ids on various hardware. Match that with your interactions with others and everything is fleshed out.

If this site is like anything i build at my work there are reports about just about every click made, click speed, form parameters, time it toom to load pages. Time on each srction. You stare at the boat babe pictures too long an it on record.

:)

It wont be a cookie taking over your life, ittl be some email from an honest looking bank message or some "authority" message. Older people cant say no to authority so they do as instructed and click on the link to install antivirus, or some other junk.

You basicalky have to throw your hardware away after everyuse to not be tracked. They wont know its you all the time, but just fill out a couple forms here and there and its over. Associate that name with all harware/license guids.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I could say a lot about your comments but for the sake of this forum I will not comment any further. I believe in this country and if I choose not to accept cookies, that is my decision and will find a back way to get my information. I am good at that. As for the thirteen original colonies, they became the USA. You and I have different beliefs and suggest leaving it at that.

Jun 14, 2010
I could say a lot about your comments but for the sake of this forum I will not comment any further. I believe in this country and if I choose not to accept cookies, that is my decision and will find a back way to get my information. I am good at that. As for the thirteen original colonies, they became the USA. You and I have different beliefs and suggest leaving it at that.
Dave, clearly you still don’t understand what cookies are.. your argument has nothing to do with cookies. Perhaps you should do some more research on your own.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Captain.

I know boats but limit myself to computers
Call me old guard I am glad at that. Life was much easier. I do not even go on Facebook as I value friendship in other ways of contact. Like I said I am old school

One question. If as electro magnetic pulse took out computers , can you survive? At least with some friends we could

Jun 14, 2010
Captain.
snip
One question. If as electro magnetic pulse took out computers , can you survive? At least with some friends we could
Good question, Dave. Survivalists might fare OK. The average person who uses banks and brokerage accounts or anything else to transact currency through payment systems would be in deep $hit. I'm not advocating that you keep mattresses stuffed with cash, but just answering your question.

Sep 5, 2018
Hunter 170 Northfield, NJ
A little FYI.

I must correct something I had wrong.

The Plexus MA300 is not epoxy. It is a two-part methacrylate adhesive.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Dave, also know that in america every web page you have ever been to is saved on a corporate server to be sold to anyone interested. There are unique identifiers on just about all hardware (phone, laptops, fitbit, bluetooth headphobez, etc...)that tracks you going anywhere, even in incognito mode. At any time a search order can pretty much build a skeleton of your life just by matching the ids on various hardware. Match that with your interactions with others and everything is fleshed out.
BobbyFunn: Sure, you're correct on this. BUT, I'm with CrazyDave and still delete cookies plus a few other tracking things. Why? It just makes me feel better.
Just deleted 14 cookies to write this post.
Dave: ya just picked up another "Like!"

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
First this forum is to help fellow sailors. The best advice received first as a new sailor and later as a new dealer was learn from the experienced wise old sailors who before us learned as well. I am grateful to many well known sailors in this industry who helped. As for ACP, I learned from the man who started this construction and made some mistakes along the way which were corrected. The fact that then head of Hunter warranty use to consult with me at times speaks of two fellows with experience trying to figure out ways to repair to help our customers. I do not consider myself an evpert but someone who knows. I know Plexsus is plastic compatible and not an epoxy. Resin and hardner in a liquid state will attack foam and ACP. once I read to clean ACP with acetone which is not compatible in this style construction either. Lists go on.

I encourage those with new ideas to come back and report results say for example new products. I respect that whether good or not. However when I see new materials suggested to use without any results, I look away. Experience comes with years of hard work not overnight experts who do not have that experience

One other thing, I am proud to be an American respecting those in the armed services who protect this country as America comes first in my books, not other countries. Yes we have problems and we need to be concerned about this country first. As for computers they have their place but we have advanced too fast for our own good which is why I am not on Facebook nor are there any apps on my cell phone. There are other ways to get info. The early astronauts flew by the seat of their pants. Even computers did not predict a fire in the Apollo 1 capsule resulting in three deaths one of whom was dad’s best friend, Gus Grissom. I have said enough but now you know a little more about me other than to advise based on knowledge and experience