Some scrap teak, a cool idea...

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I'm a wood hoarder, I admit it...and when I renovated the interior of my '86 C-22, I saved every scrap of teak and teak plywood I thought might come in handy on another day. When I learned my camping and some time sailing friends were starting to turn pens, I dove into my extensive scrap pile and supplied them with a bunch of pen blanks out of walnut, cherry, maple, mahogany, sapele, etc.. This was their thank you gift to me: a pen turned from some of the original teak trim I took out of the boat.
IMG_20171028_151646.jpg
IMG_20171028_151646.jpg

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
that was nice of them to give you back a piece of the wood, molded into a different shape, that you gave them..

wood hoarder... yea me too. Im always looking in the dumpsters at our marina to see what kind of wood i can scavenge from somebody elses remodel scraps... some NICE stuff at times.
My father-in-law was a longshoreman back in the 60's, 70's and 80's, and he always collected and brought home the dunnage timbers, plywood sheeting and other scrap wood used in building the shipping crates and pallets, from the ships that were loaded in other countries. he learned what was valuable and what was not, and did very well just selling what was otherwise going to the dump. I have used up about all he had left on various projects, and so im left to scavenge where I can and when I need a larger piece of wood than what I have to complete a project, I cut various small pieces and plane them all to the same thickness and glue and clamp them together with resorcinol to make a larger beam.... (it can be many feet long and as big as you have small pieces to keep stacking on to it) then trim the piece to size for my project.. it makes for some very nice looking wood work when its finished properly.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I took an walnut plaque I had gotten for something at work and fabricated this seam rubber out of it. Very handy for applying repair tape to sails and folding hems for sewing. Also fun to make something traditional from scraps. (I'm rubbing down in Insignia Cloth sample prior to sheer strength testing).

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
In my best high brow English accent: "Still rather badly wrinkled though". ;)

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
This is what happens to old scrap wood at my place... ;)
Trust me, that happens plenty at my place too. My neighbor to the north of me knows any time a Pecan branch falls in his yard to just drag it to the property line and it will magically disappear for awhile, then turn up as coals under a family pack of something tasty on the smoker.