Solo overboard

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
There is a saying among rock climbers that if the anchors are only of "psychological" value, you should just tie the rope to your b___s. The point being, sometimes you can't fall and non-functional gear combined with ANY thought that it might works is plain deadly. With trailing lines, that is exactly what we're talking about; non-functional gear that won't ever work.

Spend the same mental effort on something that will.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Can't stay clipped in? If you sail fully crewed, perhaps that is a valid position. It's valid inshore racing around the cans or day sailing near home.

Would you buy a car without a functional seatbelt? Would you only rig it for the interstate? Assuming the answers are NO, then why would you sail a boat without a well thought-out and engineered clip-in system that was easy to use and always deployed? Why don't you consider this to be a fundamental part of the boat, as important and central to it function as the keel? Does it not deserve the design time and investment needed to perfect it, rather than just lacing on a couple of straps and complaining that they aren't usable? Seems both silly and as though you haven't really tried. At least be honest about that.

To me, a well-engineered jackline and clip-in system is more important than any other bit of safety gear on the boat, including PFDs. It's as obvious as seatbelts and it should be engineered into any cruising boat from the beginning. Of course, there are lots of sensible things that are left off because they don't sell boats.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I suppose it's the same reason engineers build levees for category 3 hurricanes even though categories 4 and 5 are known. The last two are rare and therefore very unlikely to strike any particular place. Generally--high magnitude events are rare compared to low magnitude ones. The likelihood of drowning from falling overboard off a sailboat greater than 40 ft is exceeding low b/c the fall itself is rare to begin with. It's even low for the smaller sailboats. Boat builders are not going to engineer an expensive system of jacklines, etc., when the odds are next to zero that it will ever be needed to "prevent" something that is already exceeding rare. A skipper is more likely to run his boat aground on a surf inundated beach than he is to fall overboard and drown.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
The likelihood of drowning from falling overboard off a sailboat greater than 40 ft is exceeding low b/c the fall itself is rare to begin with. It's even low for the smaller sailboats. Boat builders are not going to engineer an expensive system of jacklines, etc., when the odds are next to zero that it will ever be needed to "prevent" something that is already exceeding rare. A skipper is more likely to run his boat aground on a surf inundated beach than he is to fall overboard and drown.
All perfectly valid points. However, those odds do go up dramatically in the conditions faced when going offshore (at least, more than "nearshore"). And to make matters worse, what those concerned with safety, search and recovery try to emphasize, the farther offshore you get, the fewer search and rescue resources are available that can get to you, and the longer it takes to get to you, not to mention being able to find you at all.

We don't even put all our trust in the jacklines alone. If we have to go forward in challenging conditions, we do it on hands and knees, and still hold on to some part of the boat.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Would you buy a car without a functional seatbelt? Would you only rig it for the interstate? Assuming the answers are NO, then why would you sail a boat without a well thought-out and engineered clip-in system that was easy to use and always deployed?...
Yes, as a matter of fact, my daily driver does not have a seatbelt. I know several on this sailing forum who would make the same claim. Some don't wear helmets either.
Life is a measure of risk. Everyone chooses the level of risk they are comfortable with, and lives with it.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Except when you become a vegetable and someone else has to take care of you because you decided there was little risk.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Look for a 4" flip down step in marine hardware. My 26' Clipper Marine didn't have a stern ladder so I mounted one of these steps near the outboard. When lake sailing I would intentionally use it to get back aboard and it worked well. A 50'/100' line and your dinghy or float trailing seems practical as well. I solo sailed this year at Bodega's outer bay dragging dinghy and was not all that comfortable even with the blow up lifejacket on. Chief

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
All perfectly valid points. However, those odds do go up dramatically in the conditions faced when going offshore (at least, more than "nearshore"). And to make matters worse, what those concerned with safety, search and recovery try to emphasize, the farther offshore you get, the fewer search and rescue resources are available that can get to you, and the longer it takes to get to you, not to mention being able to find you at all.

We don't even put all our trust in the jacklines alone. If we have to go forward in challenging conditions, we do it on hands and knees, and still hold on to some part of the boat.
a. I have had tethers catch me numerous times. That is because I use them as a third hand to lean against in many circumstances, where they reduce the chance of a stumble , slip, or slide. In fact, by keeping the slack out of the line, I make it safer. This is mathematically provable and obvious.

b. If you cannot trust the tether and jackline implicitly with your life in all circumstances, then there is something wrong either with the engineering or you understanding of it. Climbers and rope access workers do this every day. Check that the rigging must be right, then relax. But there should be no risk of failure or thought of the same in your mind. None.

Yes, for many sailors the need is rare. I've never needed a PFD either, but I won't argue the need to have them on board and that they work properly in all conditions. In fact, I've never needed a PFD, but I have needed tethers. To my mind, if the maker is going to advertise a boat as storm worthy and not include jacklines and anchor points, they are lying. It isn't storm ready by any working definition.

Last edited: