Solo Mast Stepping - O'Day 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2010
Oday Javelin Lake Bde Maka Ska
Just purchased a 1980 O'Day 19 (not sure if it's classified as a Rhodes-19)... searched the forums and couldn't find any threads about stepping the mast solo. On bigger boats I've owned, I was able to park on an incline (bow down), and stand on top of the cabin facing the stern, lifting with bent knees while shuffling backwards, raising the mast (lighter aluminum) with ease. With the O'Day 19, the cabin hatch comes completely off (doesn't slide like others), and the sides are not wide enough to stand and shuffle backwards. Plus, the mast seems much heavier than past masts. The crutch at the stern is adjustable, so that helps a little. Any thoughts on how to step the mast solo? I've heard of sailors utilizing the trailer winch and forestay somehow. Any help would be appreciated. Blaker

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Just purchased a 1980 O'Day 19 (not sure if it's classified as a Rhodes-19)... searched the forums and couldn't find any threads about stepping the mast solo. On bigger boats I've owned, I was able to park on an incline (bow down), and stand on top of the cabin facing the stern, lifting with bent knees while shuffling backwards, raising the mast (lighter aluminum) with ease. With the O'Day 19, the cabin hatch comes completely off (doesn't slide like others), and the sides are not wide enough to stand and shuffle backwards. Plus, the mast seems much heavier than past masts. The crutch at the stern is adjustable, so that helps a little. Any thoughts on how to step the mast solo? I've heard of sailors utilizing the trailer winch and forestay somehow. Any help would be appreciated. Blaker
The only other thing that would allow you to step your mast by yourself would be to build a Gin Pole and use either a small boat winch mounted on it, or a block and tackle arrangement from the bow plate to the bottom of the Gin Pole. My first Gin Pole was made of oak and I made it to come apart in two pieces. I'm using my boom vang to raise my mast and my new Gin Pole is made of stainless steel and it also comes apart in two pieces for easy stowing. The Gin Pole is the way to go because you can raise the mast with the boat in the water or on the trailer. It's pretty simple. The Gin Pole fits on the front of the mast and the Jib halyard is connected to the top end of the Gin Pole and the Boom vang connects to the bow plate and the bottom end of the Gin Pole. The Pole provides the angle for raising/lowering of the mast. The pics show pivot bridles but if you don't have a roller furler, you can get away without the pivot bridles. Just make sure that the wind is coming directly from the stern, and the boat and trailer is level. Check out my "Owner's Photo Album" under "Trinkka" and "O'Day 222".
http://www.boatus.com/goodoldboat/maststepping.asp

http://slowflight.net/upgrades/tips-GinPole.html

Joe

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Well, if it helps, a 1980 O'DAY 19 is what you have, the RHODES 19 was not built by O'DAY after 1978 (molds sold to a different builder along with those of the MARINER). The mention of a completely removeable hatch is also a clue.... the R19 did not have a hatch.
The O'DAY 19 was designed by C.Raymond Hunt Associates (John Deknatel chief Designer) and the RHODES 19 was designed by (surprise?) Phil Rhodes.

Rudy Nickerson at D&R Marine (508) 644-3001 www.drmarine.com will have an owners Manual for this boat. It really doesn't say very much about stepping the mast, although it does list the procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.