Sole Refinish Question

Feb 15, 2022
Beneteau Oceanis 36CC Greenport
I have a 2000 Beneteau Oceanis 36 Center Cockpit. The boat is nearly immaculate and I want to maintain the sole in the same condition. I believe the sole is a laminate and I need guidance as to what Varnish to use? Thank you!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I believe the sole is a laminate and I need guidance as to what Varnish to use?
I refinished the teak & holly veneered sole on my previous boat, a Hunter 33.5.. Carefully sanded to remove the old finish, down to bare wood. Vacuumed thoroughly & used a tack cloth to remove remaining dust particles. Used Daly’s Profin to reseal. Applied about 5-6 coats to build up a nice finish using ultra fine steel / brass wool to buff surface between coats. Was very pleased with results.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Can you lift up one of the hatches in the sole and find out how thick your top laminate/veneer is? I don't have specific knowledge of your boat, but the veneer on many production boats is paper thin, and very easy to sand through if you attempt to go down to bare wood.

If your's is thin, I wouldn't attempt sanding to bare wood. I'd sand just enough to allow the new finish to stick. Maybe 200, 300, or 400 grit? It won't end up looking like new, but will certainly protect it, and what's wrong with a little bit of patina anyway?

If you're lucky, it's not traditional varnish. Personally, I'd much rather work with a water based acrylic. I touch up the interior on my Catalina with a water based acrylic from Valspar (from the local big box). Doesn't require sanding between coats. Foam brush works fine.

May 3, 2021
beneteau 36cc greenport
The sole is definitely a laminate and not solid hardwoods. I can definitely prep the surface carefully.

I do have some experience varnishing the toe rail on the boat and other components on the exterior. For those I used Epiphanes clear varnish successfully.

The sole is in pretty good shape with no water damage or any significant dings. The finish is more of a satin finish not a clear glossy finish like the exterior of the boat. I was wondering if I should just duplicate a satin finish or go with the glossy finish. I would like to make the floors look pretty stunning if possible.

Thank you very much for your advice and counsel

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
I seem to remember reading that Beneteau used a pigmented varnish in their boats. That might have only applied to the furniture, etc. not the sole. Anyway, you might be able to check that with Beneteau.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I did mine and it came up like glass(gloss finish) ,no sand paper used steel wool 4 different grades . I then used tack cloth and then polyurethane in a spray can ( no brush strokes or bubbles) 3 coats 5 years later still nice. Polyurethane is what hardwood floors are done with supper hard finsh no cracking or yellowing