Solar Ventilators for H33

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Logan

I noticed from past postings that several of you have replaced the old passive ventilators with solar ventilators on your H33. A few questions: 1. Which type (brand) did you use? 2. Was it a direct replacement for the old ones, or did you have to enlarge the holes? 3. Where did you locate them - and did you use 1, 2, or 3 (which seems like overkill to me.) thanks

A

Alan J

VENTS

On my 37C I replaced two passive vents with solar direct replacements three years ago. I used the 4" moded and did not have to do any modifications and I put exhaust blades on both. I used the ones with the stainless steel exterior for strength and have not been disappointed, never any midldew on board

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Good idea in your area.

Jim: I used a Nicro Day/Nite solar vent on our H'31. I cut a hole in the hatch over the settee in the main salon. To complete this process you can cut it with a jib/saber saw, but I would recommend a hole saw. Cutting the acrylic with a saber saw is not the easiest process in the world. The acrylic tends to melt behind the area that you just cut. If you use one of the variable speed models and use a slower speed it may be easier. These thing really do seem to work. Just a note of caution. If you are in an area where you have a lot of fog for extended periods of time, the batteries will be drained before they get enough sunlite to get recharged. On your boat and in your area, I would recommend one on the forward hatch and another in the main cabin area at a minimum.

T

Terry arnold

passive ventilator replacement

Jim, I replaced two of the passive ventilators with 4" Nicro solar vents a couple of years ago. I replaced the one in the head and the one forward in the cabin. For the H33 you have to enlarge the hole for 4" vents which I did with a sabre saw. No particular problem, just make it big enough the first time. As I remember, the vent carries good instructions on hole requirements. The vents have done a very good job in practically doing away with mildew, this in the Florida panhandle. They remove and plug easily for bad weather sailing and this is especially important for the one forward . Otherwise, a jib sheet can catapult the whole thing overboard. (This from on the job first hand experience) The vents come with two propellers for exhaust or intake. After experimenting I found that intake is my best option. Keeps unwanted odors down by pressurizing the cabin area and forcing exhaust out through the engine and cockpit locker area, rather than drawing in air over that part of the boat. I was precipitated into replacement by failure of the original passive ventilators. If yours are ok, I believe I would replace the forward one in the cabin first, try it and see what happens before replacing any more. I believe that the vents are rated at about 800 cfh, probably by itself theoretically replacing all of the air each hour.

Dec 2, 1999
Nicro Day/Nite

Terry: The Nicro Day & Nite vents are not just press fit, the are actually screwed in.

T

Terry arnold

Nicro changes?

Steve, if the new vents somehow screw into the deck fitting that's a big improvement. Mine (purchased from West Marine in 99) simply press down and can be removed just as easily by hand or flailing sheet. They have to be removable since green water or even heavy spray will go right down the things. Mine did come with a deck plate and trim ring for the bottom which do screw down.

Dec 2, 1999
Solar vents or Day/Nite Vents.

Terry: Do you have solar vents or the day & nite solar vents. My vents are the older Nicro vents that have a nicad battery (that CANNOT be replaced). When I originally got them I was concerned that someone could just lift them out. When I got into the installation I realized that there were screws that actually hold the vent in place. I am getting ready to replace my vent because the nicad died. The newer models have replacable batteries. I hope that they work exactly like the old ones. Thanks for the feed back.

T

TOM MANALILI

DORADES AND COWLS

ABOUT TEN YEARS AGO, I BUILD TWO FWD, DORADES OUT OF WOOD, SOAKED IN RESIN AND GLASS, THEY LASTED FOR FIVE YEARS, I REPLACED THEM WITH ONE'S MADE FROM 1/2" THK WHITE STARBOARD, WITH 3" DIA. COWLS, AND 3" DIA. PVC THROUGH THE CABIN TOP, I ADDDED A DORADE WITH DBL COWLS TO MY SLIDER, BEEN IN FLORIDA FOR 8 YEARS, NO LEAKS, NO MILDEW, THE DORADES ARE SIMPLE TO MAKE, ANGLED SO THEY DON'T CATCH ANY SHEETS,(HAVE A CUTTER RIG) AND WORK DAY AND NIGHT, AS LONG THERE'S A BREEZE, SCREENS BELOW KEEPING OUT THE NOSEEEMS, AND THEY DON'T NEED BATTERIES, OR BREAK DOWN," NO MOVING PARTS".

Status
Not open for further replies.