Solar powered vents

Nov 3, 2018
Cape Dory, Albin 300ms Motorsailer, Vega Baltimore
I’m looking for recommendations for solar powered cabin vents- the kind that can be mounted in a hatch lens. I’d like to stay away from the Marinco ones as everything I’ve read indicates they are a bunch of $&@p.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Nicro still makes one, though it seems to be plastic, not ss.

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Stuart (ODay) Mariner 19 Yeopim Creek
I don't think any of the solar-powered vents have a big enough battery to last more than a couple of years. Deep cycling a battery every day is going to end a battery in a couple of years, even with the best lithium technology. To make a solar-powered load reliable, you need storage = 4-5 days x daily energy consumption. This allows you to not have to deep cycle (or worse) EVERY day. But such a large battery is impractical in a cabin vent. And even if the battery size was not an issue, battery price is.

Solar-powered yard lights don't last for the same reason - too small a battery for the daily load.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19 (with a solar-powered deck vent that now only works when the sun is shining) Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Sorry to be the spoiler on this topic, but Nicro and Marinco are one and the same. I have had my 2 three inch units and one four inch unit for four years now. I have changed the battery on each unit only once. The two three inch sit under cover for the four winter months as I have a tarp over the boom and down to the coaming. The four inch unit sits out in the light all the time. My guess is that I'll be replacing the rechargeable batteries this upcoming season. I get the batteries through Amazon.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I replaced mine with another 4" NICRO (SS) about four years ago. They quit making a spacer for hatch Placement, so I purchased a decorative round wooden piece, cut it to fit, varnished it and used it as a spacer. NICRO said there was "no demand" for it. I guess it's a SoCal thing since it seems to me a large percentage of sailboats here have them hatch-mounted. In any event, the newer model seems to be significantly improved. FWIW, I have always had one over 40 years on three boats.