Solar Panel Odd Failure

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I purchased a couple of 100 watt semi-flexible panels from Amazon last year and had the opportunity to try them last month. No joy. Zip output. See what I am sending to the distributor. Any thoughts? The only possible anomaly I can think of is that they were delivered at 5000' altitude and I used them at sea level. Can't see that being an issue though. Here is what I drafted:

I purchased two suaoki TPS-105(32)-100W-SF panels July 26, 2017 through Amazon. I do not know when the units were delivered; sometime in August 2017. The serial numbers are SPRD1M19132 and SPRD1M18918. Following delivery and unpacking, I tested the open circuit voltage at between 20 and 21 for both.

These panels remained unused, stored separately flat and protected, until July 2018 when we embarked on a trip to an island for several weeks. At that location, I noticed the panels were producing little current. I assumed it was the regulator and replaced it. However, I noted no output. I checked the wiring in the harness. It was satisfactory. I brought the panels home and checked the panels individually. One is producing 10.1 volts. The other output 3.2 volts although there was some fluctuation. This is in clear conditions, full sun, at noon.

When installed, the panels lay flat on a canvas bimini on a sailboat. They were carefully installed, keeping the panels relatively flat during installation. The installation is temporary and panels are removed before moving the boat from her mooring. Four 50 watt hard panels are wired to terminal blocks as are the suaoki panels. From there, they are wired into a Victron solar controller which then outputs to the battery bank. (When I was on the mooring, I disconnected the 50 watt panels to test the suaoki panels alone. They outputted zero amps. The 50’s collectively were eight amps. This caused me to test the panel output with the multimeter.)

I am baffled at the failure. The panels were carefully stored, handled and unused. I notice other brands on Amazon appear identical, so it appears to my eye to simply be branding. If these panels worked, they would be ideal for this application. They are replacing three old 22 watt flexible panels.

I look forward to hearing from you to resolve this issue.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
I think they are busted. If it is sunny out they should make 20+ volts (Voc) . If you short the output they should make several amps of current ( they have an Isc rating).

Nov 12, 2009
J/ 32 NCYC, Western Lake Erie
What sort of warranty do the panels have? When I saw the difference between a flex panel warranty and the rigid panel (3 or 4 years vs 18-20 years) we went with the rigid.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
What sort of warranty do the panels have? When I saw the difference between a flex panel warranty and the rigid panel (3 or 4 years vs 18-20 years) we went with the rigid.
One year warranty. I suspect I am doomed. No longer being sold.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Update: I have been in contact with Suaoki who walked me through some testing. The bottom line is that it appears the diodes are defective. The input to the circuit is 20-ish volts but the output at the circuit end is zero to ten volts. The diodes are not replaceable (by me) being about 3/16 inch and soldered to the board and surrounded by the case. Anyhow, they offered to send me a second panel and a refund if I first purchased a new one. Seems fair enough to me. They did say there are some significant improvements in the new panels and I can indeed see that they are completely different and seem more robust. Anyhow, good for Suaoki for hanging in there and working through some problem-solving/testing and standing behind their product.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
In the mean time, you can insert a diode in line so that your do not backfeed the panel.