Solar Diverter?

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
MS - I would like improve ventilation inside the boat, and would like to rig up something where I can have it automatically supply power to the fan circuit whenever my batteries are fully charged to move some air around when I have excess solar power that cannot be pumped into the batteries. As you may recall I have the GV4 on my boat, which is doing a wonderful job, but I suspect what I'm wondering about it beyond anything it could do.

Is there a inexpensive diverter or some other device of some sort that could automatically kick on when the solar is outputting power, but the controller isn't using it? Or something rigged up somewhat like an echo charger that feeds power to the fans when the batteries have reached full charge?

Jul 25, 2007
-Irwin -Citation 40 Wilmington, NC
You could get a voltage sensing relay that would turn on the fans when your batteries reach a certain voltage say around 13.5. I think West sells one for not a lot the adjustable ones are more expensive. You could look on ebay as well.

Capt. Wayne Canning, AMS
www.projectboatzen.com

Jun 17, 2007
MacGregor Mac26S Victoria Tx
How many amps would the fan(s) pull? How big is your solar panel? You might not run the batteries down enough to worry about, depending on the numbers. I have a couple of larger fans than pull .3 amps on low (.4 on high) Overnight that's only ~3 amps which would be recharged pretty quickly (depending on the size of the panel)

I run a deck vent fan (computer muffin fan) 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week. But it only draws .08amps, so my 20w panel recharges the batteries quickly.

MS - I would like improve ventilation inside the boat, and would like to rig up something where I can have it automatically supply power to the fan circuit whenever my batteries are fully charged to move some air around when I have excess solar power that cannot be pumped into the batteries. As you may recall I have the GV4 on my boat, which is doing a wonderful job, but I suspect what I'm wondering about it beyond anything it could do.

Is there a inexpensive diverter or some other device of some sort that could automatically kick on when the solar is outputting power, but the controller isn't using it? Or something rigged up somewhat like an echo charger that feeds power to the fans when the batteries have reached full charge?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Are you looking for fresh air while you are on board?

If that is the case there are those computer fans that can be fashioned into and intake/exhaust fan. These are cheap and they are available in DC versions. You could put them in your opening ports with some stiff wire to hold time in place.

O2 also makes a fan that works on batteries, 12vDC and AC.

http://theboatgalley.com/simple-exhaust-fan/

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Have you considered dorals (sp) those wind scoops that look like a bluderbuss business end. Set one looking forward and on looking aft and you should have fresh air any time the wind is blowing.
Also try looking at controllers for wind gensets. they have a resistance heater load dump feature that does exactly what you are trying to do. You have to keep a wind generator loaded so when the bats are charged and the wind is blowing the controller dump the excess to a pure resistive heat load so the generator does not spin too fast.

Bob846

Jun 7, 2004
Beneteau 423 Long Beach/Los Angeles
Not sure if you have a solar regulator. Blue Sky Energy Inc. has several regulators that include an echo charger for a small second bank or starting battery. In bulk mode, the echo is cut off, but in absorb and float modes, the echo kicks in a provides up to 2 amps of power. Wonder if this would fit your requirements.

Apr 8, 2010
No fridge and no wind generator on the boat, and no plans to install them (it's only a 27' inland/coastal cruiser after all!), so those ideas are out.

A set of dorades could work, but I have no good place to install them. I've already been planning where to put tank vents for when I add the head, and I'm pretty limited on options. Adding cabin vent dorades would simply make that challenge even worse.

I was planning on installing one of these at some point, but not for the cabin, for the holding tank vent.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|6880|45749|320599|845205&id=1647377

Sep 17, 2012
Morgan 383 Fairhaven, NY
Holding tank vents belong on the transom....(ie. down wind of the cock pit) not the cabin house. The reasons will become painfully obvious.
A couple dorade vents will work wonders for ventilation. Other than cutting 3" holes in your boat they're a "plug n play", use no amps, work day & night.

Sep 28, 2008
Canadian Sailcraft CS27 Victoria B.C.
Holding tank vents belong on the transom....(ie. down wind of the cock pit) not the cabin house. The reasons will become painfully obvious.
A couple dorade vents will work wonders for ventilation. Other than cutting 3" holes in your boat they're a "plug n play", use no amps, work day & night.
I agree, a holding tank vent should be below deck level, transom being one choice. Or a vent on each side for good crossflow ventilation. Usually a tank type vent or a 3/4" to 1" through hull works well.

A few dorades would be a good solution to the other problem.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
The Nicro solar vents also work wonders. Put one in the v-berth hatch sucking "in" and one over the galley sucking out...

Apr 8, 2010
The Nicro solar vents also work wonders. Put one in the v-berth hatch sucking "in" and one over the galley sucking out...
I thought I heard they have had significant quality issues in the last few years. I recall a thread recently saying they are only lasting a year or three now, am I incorrect?