Solar charging monitoring-we need advice

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
We are once again provisioning for our annual Canadian North Channel Summer sailing adventure. We spend most of our days on the hook. We have a Hunter 356 (SamiDog). A couple seasons ago we installed 2 flexible solar panels (rated 110 watts each). Our battery bank consists of only 2 -12v deep cycle marine batteries. Here is where we need help. When we installed the panels we used the very basic (and cheesy?) digital display that was included with the panels. We would like to upgrade this ornament to a charging monitor device that is owner friendly and accurate... not filled with kazillions of toggle options. We simply want to monitor panel output and battery voltage at any given time. We noticed the sky is the limit on equipment to purchase to do this job. We are basic folk with a budget. Of course we will self install as we do with everything on our vessel. So if any of you have help and/or product suggestions....that would be very appreciated.
Jim n’ Kathy

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Victron (https://www.victronenergy.com/) makes a nice controller that can be connected to with a mobile device. I use my iPad to monitor charge state, voltage and amperage in and out.
+1 to Victron. Their line of SmartSolar controllers are super easy to install, very reliable, and very high quality - for a reasonable price. You're probably looking at a 100/20 model, which ran me $157 on Amazon. I absolutely love the Bluetooth output, like ngf2U mentioned, which I paired with a Victron BMV-712 battery monitor, which I highly recommend in addition to the solar controller. The 712 will give you a lot more info about your batteries that the solar controller doesn't. And they are both Bluetooth, and both accessed from within the same app.

MDBack

May 9, 2013
Hunter Legend 35.5 Cornucopia, WI
Yep. Victron BMV-702 ~$175. Easy, all the info you need.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The Victron solar controllers and the BMV-702 are completely different things.

Even with your solar panels, house bank seems awfully meager.

Have a great trip.

MDBack

May 9, 2013
Hunter Legend 35.5 Cornucopia, WI
I read this post as them already having a charger (although cheap and probably inefficient) and their desire to better monitor the batteries and solar input they have. If they would like to upgrade the charger I would probably go with a small Victron MPPT charge controller. Don't know the size needed, haven't run the numbers for their situation. Amazon has Victron MPPT charge controllers for under $100 for smaller systems.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Our battery bank consists of only 2 -12v deep cycle marine batteries.
I once had this same set up. But after learning from folks on this forum more about how batteries work, and the various types of storage batteries, I switched to “true” deep-cycle batteries, i.e., the 6-volt version, then wired 4 of ‘em in series-parallel to get two 12-volt “banks” with more capacity, etc. Your cheesy monitors as you say are, I agree, not so wonderful. Nearly useless, likely; but perhaps not entirely. Mine at least will keep track of the number of amp-hours the panels are actually putting into the batteries. After a couple of days of watching this, coupled with the voltage display, i.e., to your point, you get to know what’s happening with your solar charging. One thing I noticed is that the daily output of the panels into the batteries appears typically less than the panel’s advertised capacity—big surprise—and apparently less than is being consumed. Thus, the almost daily need to boost the charging using the diesel, etc. Using Mainsail’s recommendation, charge (diesel) at 12.2 volts (lowest point) if you ever get there, which should keep you above the 50% discharge “limit.”

In any event, I guess my point is—perhaps—use your resources to upgrade your batteries themselves, rather than a battery monitor. It’s not like we have large, complicated, banks with big system loads running them down, etc., that we need expensive monitors, etc. Spend on this superfluous stuff only after your basic system has been upgraded.

Last edited:

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
+1 on the Victron MPPT solar charge controller and battery monitors with Blue Tooth output.

However.. be careful using Amazon with electronics. About six months ago I bought a knock off Go Pro camera off Amazon and it died about five weeks later (would not boot). Amazon had some return date that I had just exceeded. Called Amazon and it was a complete waste of time (like at least a half hour, maybe more on the phone). They did nothing to help but at least the guy (in some accent) did read the script that they cared a lot about my problem at least several times. I ended up just throwing the camera away, replaced it with an real Gopro purchased at a store that backs up what they sell. Might have just been the manufacture of that particular camera that caused the problem.. dont know but I will have to desperate to use Amazon again for electronics.

Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
To date, I've had no issues regarding Electronics on Amazon. If it's a 3rd party seller, perhaps worth being a little more thorough on the reviews and questions posted, but I've purchased panels, controllers, displays, cameras (both DSLR and action cameras). To date, no issues with any purchases.

I do love my Victron SmartSolar controller. First thing I do when I get near the boat, is pull the app up and check, even though I have no weird expectations of abnormalities. It's just a fun thing to do!