soggy internal bouyancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kevin Brady

Today I wanted to fit an echo sounder to my brand new Capri 18 and in searching for a suitable site for the transducer , I opened up the forward hatch for the bouyancy compartment (under the V berth) . After digging out the first couple of inches of foam , I was shocked to find that it got soggier as I got deeper . I stopped after digging out about 2 cubic feet of wet foam . There is more to dig out , but maybe the whole internal boutancy system is waterlogged - I thought that this stuff was supposed to be 'closed cell' ?! The boat is 3 years old but not yet been launched . Any ideas how this could happen ? Is it possible that I will have to get into every compartment to remove the foam ?

B

Bryan Sperling

water below?

Sounds like you might have an above water line leak, possibly from rain. Were there any signs of mold or mildew in the cabin? If there wasn't any interior problems, it would stand to reason that it was going between the deck,hull and cabin seam. Another area where water would creap in is the keel. Since the moisture seems to begin closer to the bottom it might be a couple of loose keel bolts. (maybe Catalina it trying out a water ballast system!!) surely not! I would contact the Catalina factory. I own a Capri 22 but know of an 18 at our club. I will check it out and get back with you if I find possible deck leakage areas.

K

Kevin Brady

thanks bryan ...

Bryan - thanks for your suggestions .There is no mould , mildew or signs of water (rain) ingress inside the cabin.Also , as the boat has yet to be launched , I do not suspect the keel . I firmly believe that rain has been getting in between the double skin while the boat has been laid up in the open since new . I have also e-mailed Catalina and will let you know how I get on . Thanks for the interest .

K

Kevin Brady

soggy foam - leak found ?

For anyone interested (Bryan ?) think I may have found the source of the leak - the aluminum/rubber rubbing strake has not been fitted close enough to the hull where it has to be bent around the bow . The wet foam trail pointed to the leak coming in somewhere near the starboard bow and examination on deck showed that the likely entry is a quarter inch gap between the rubbing strake and the topsides - I can even see the shank of two screws which have not been tightened up . The rest of the rubbing strake is hard up against the hull . I will fill the gap with some mastic and water test next week . By the way , was disappointed in the input from builders who simply advised that "I should remove any waterlogged foam " Easier said than done and no guidance on the specific questions I had asked . Hope this is the end of this one .

B

Bryan Sperling

Sounds Good

Kevin, Sounds like you may have this problem under control. Thats great. I often check this web site for info or new topics. There really hasn't been much lately. Glad I could have been of some help, if just a different perspective. Bryan PS...keep me posted on how you and your boat are doing ...bsperlin@email.usps.gov.

Status
Not open for further replies.