Soft spot

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
where in the ceiling and it would be nice if you had some pics.....oh a welcome to the forum

Apr 24, 2014
S2 9.2 brady mt resort lake ouachita
It's a 1985 s2 9.2 the soft spot ison the port side of the small hatch in netween the mast and the main hatch it really doesn't show up enough to take a picture I just noticed it when I stepped on it

Apr 24, 2014
I said that wrong it's to the port side of the small hatch that's between the main hatch and the mast sorry and thanks for the welcome

Apr 24, 2014
It's the one that's is in front of the bulk head that is the aft wall for the head

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
sounds like you have water intrusion in the core around that hatch...you may have to pull the hatch and remove the core rot and replace it with new material and then reinstall the hatch and bed it with buytl tape to stop the leaks

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
if you have never done anything like this do a lot of research on the net on how to do it ...you can ask questions here as well but with out seeing the damage area it hard to say what is exactly wrong

Apr 24, 2014
That's kinda what I had heard I can't find where it's leaking I don't know if it still is because the previous owners did not taks care if it and it had some other damage I fixed with the help if some real smart friends and I have not been able to find any mold moisture or leaks I'm hopin this is damage from before I fixed the other problem can I just dig out the rotted wood and replace it with woodie epoxy

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
That's kinda what I had heard I can't find where it's leaking I don't know if it still is because the previous owners did not taks care if it and it had some other damage I fixed with the help if some real smart friends and I have not been able to find any mold moisture or leaks I'm hopin this is damage from before I fixed the other problem can I just dig out the rotted wood and replace it with woodie epoxy
best to mix up some thinkened and fill it back with that

jguyer

Sep 16, 2010
S2 8.5 Milwaukee
My 8.5 has the same issue. Most of the cabin roof from the mast back is soft or delaminated and most likely the core is rotted. I am planning on re coring the entire cabin roof from the mast back. Also to complicate matters further I am planning on doing this from the bottom. I hope to post the project as I go for the benefit of all. I think this may be a common issue .

Apr 24, 2014
So are you going to take off the carpet ceiling cover and cut out the fiberglass from the ceiling then replace the rotted wood then reglue the fiberglass back then will you put new carpet up

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
So are you going to take off the carpet ceiling cover and cut out the fiberglass from the ceiling then replace the rotted wood then reglue the fiberglass back then will you put new carpet up
thats about the jest of it you can always say it faster than you can do it on a boat

Apr 24, 2014
Are you going to cut out small sections at a time and do each section by itself or what

jguyer

Sep 16, 2010
S2 8.5 Milwaukee
um Yes I am planning on cutting out sections. I dont know how big of sections I will cut. I do plan to cut out all the bad core before i start recoring. Also I really hope to save the fiberglass and re use it ... Im not sure how exactly this will go. I am also reinforcing the chainplate bulk heads, cutting into the cabin sole to reinforce the compression post and rebedding all deck hardware. Hope to have this done by June first. Im in Milwaukee WI so most of the winter is too cold to lay any fiber glass so this will be a slow project ... My boat still needs to come out of the water and get covered. It may be a few weeks before I start cutting into the roof . Again I am planning to keep running posts of these projects.