Soft decks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2004
Oday 12 New London, Ct
I am currently looking for a good deal on a Columbia, I looked at two this weekend. A 1974 26MKII, which the owner had replaced the deck himself a few years back, original sails and a 1988 O.B. in fair condition otherwise, he asking only $500 plus yard fees of about $500. And a 1968 28MKII which there asking $3500, but would probably take alot less. The 28MKII is in really good original condition, except for soft decks. The deck seems OK at the bow, but along side the cabin trunk there are some very soft spots on each side. There is some evidence of leakage inside but not too bad. It has a 2001 Yamaha 9.9 O.B. and a very new looking Harken furler, a New Dodger and mainsail cover. The main looks original. I do think I should have it survyed. Does anyone have any thoughts about he decks, should it be professionally fixed or is it something I could do myself.

Jul 6, 2004
Oday 12 New London, Ct
I am currently looking for a good deal on a Columbia, I looked at two this weekend. A 1974 26MKII, which the owner had replaced the deck himself a few years back, original sails and a 1988 O.B. in fair condition otherwise, he asking only $500 plus yard fees of about $500. And a 1968 28MKII which there asking $3500, but would probably take alot less. The 28MKII is in really good original condition, except for soft decks. The deck seems OK at the bow, but along side the cabin trunk there are some very soft spots on each side. There is some evidence of leakage inside but not too bad. It has a 2001 Yamaha 9.9 O.B. and a very new looking Harken furler, a New Dodger and mainsail cover. The main looks original. I do think I should have it survyed. Does anyone have any thoughts about he decks, should it be professionally fixed or is it something I could do myself.

Jun 16, 2004
- - noggin
DIYS if you are handy at making things,you can sav

I liked the C26mk2 for it's design,and extra room inside for a 26ft.boat,the 28 is bigger but my own taste is for lift keel boats as water here is thin in places. Soft decks some times can be fixed by drilling only a few holes inside cabin at the places it is soft,seal a WET & Dry Vac to center hole with other holes out at ends of wet spots,turn on and dry out (be sure befor leveing it on that it is not flexing deck)after its all dry your can seal off holes inside and drill on top of deck at high spot and fill with epoxy thined out,may take a few fills,then seal off. Don't forget to seal off were ever water got in to start with. Do it any way you like but thats one way I have used!

Jun 16, 2004
- - noggin
DIYS if you are handy at making things,you can sav

I liked the C26mk2 for it's design,and extra room inside for a 26ft.boat,the 28 is bigger but my own taste is for lift keel boats as water here is thin in places. Soft decks some times can be fixed by drilling only a few holes inside cabin at the places it is soft,seal a WET & Dry Vac to center hole with other holes out at ends of wet spots,turn on and dry out (be sure befor leveing it on that it is not flexing deck)after its all dry your can seal off holes inside and drill on top of deck at high spot and fill with epoxy thined out,may take a few fills,then seal off. Don't forget to seal off were ever water got in to start with. Do it any way you like but thats one way I have used!

S

s.mignery@comcast.com

28 columbia going on the chopping block

I am about to trade up to a larger vessel. I'm in my 4th year of rehab on a 1969 columbia c28 Sshe is restored and now upgraded. If interested I will send you photos. with a rebuilt Palmer m60 28 hrs gas engine.Harken furler, 5 sails, instruments, new paint and wood, etc. Great starter boat. She's logged almost 1,000 miles on Lake Michigan. See you! Scott

S

s.mignery@comcast.com

28 columbia going on the chopping block

I am about to trade up to a larger vessel. I'm in my 4th year of rehab on a 1969 columbia c28 Sshe is restored and now upgraded. If interested I will send you photos. with a rebuilt Palmer m60 28 hrs gas engine.Harken furler, 5 sails, instruments, new paint and wood, etc. Great starter boat. She's logged almost 1,000 miles on Lake Michigan. See you! Scott

R

Roger

soft deck

I am probably going to let my 24 foot Columbia Challenger go CHEAP. It just needs plywood under the foredeck. It is in the water tied to my dock. leroiun@aol.com

R

Roger

soft deck

I am probably going to let my 24 foot Columbia Challenger go CHEAP. It just needs plywood under the foredeck. It is in the water tied to my dock. leroiun@aol.com

Status
Not open for further replies.