Soft Deck

Whit

Sep 13, 2004
Hunter 30_88-94 New Orleans LA
How are the decks on your Challenger? While the decks themselves are sold glass, the grid of plywood stringers, underneath are subject to failure where they join. This leads to the deck flexing as it is walked upon. Has anyone had this problem?

David

Jun 17, 2004
Macgregor 26x Morecambe
My is soft in a spot or two, but not too bad. I've heard an opinion from a friend that I should consider filling the "honeycomb" area below with a core and then glassing of the inside to stiffen the deck.

A

Anonymous

Hi Whit, soft decks?

For sure. These solid decks must have been some of the first glass decks ever built. My boat, along with the original grid pattern(which may have been an after thought after the first few came out) has had more bracing added. They broke most of the spans on the side decks in half by adding another little plywood deck beam between the existing. These builders were clearly in a new territory and used their wooden boat building experience to solve their problems. I wish they had used solid wood instread of plywood to build this little framing system, it would be nearly twice as stiff, plywood of course is only 50% wood in a structural direction.

A problem area is just forward of the cabin house. Some boats have had reinforcement added there as well.

All things considered, I think adding this extra bracing underneath is a good solution. It's not hard although alittle tedious but doesn't have to all be done at once. Solid wood would be better, epoxied and fastened and painted, it dissappears into the original stuff.

The worst area on my boat is on the aft deck. There was no way to add additional framing, no access. I plan to open this area up on both sides of the structure that anchors the aft stay. Once one or two areas are opened, I'll add framing and finish with a hatch or hatches for access and stowage. This area would make great stowage.

I don't think they will ever be as stiff as cored decks unless something like David has suggested be done. On the bright side, they don't suffer from the core rot so prevalent on older glass boats and this simple additonal framing makes them stiff enough.

Whit, tell us about your boat. Thanks Tom

Whit

Sep 13, 2004
Hunter 30_88-94 New Orleans LA
Reply to Tom

I have hull #35. She has all the problems that you guys encountered. I have replaced the cabin top and I strengthened the deck. I have also replaced the tow rails. I am currently replacing the cabinetry under the bridge deck. I was interested in your deductions concerning leaks in that area. I also need to look at the chain plates as the previous owner repaired them. The repair was done by Pease Bros. in Chatham. They through bolted the chain plates through the hull. This is what Alden recommended, short of cutting out the backing plates as you have done. I would be interested in seeing your pic’s of this operation. Hopefully I’ll be cruising your way next year.