Soft deck in H17

mark2

Dec 10, 2012
Hunter 18 Raleigh
I have read many of the forum posts about cracks; we have had very little cracking problem on our H17, but I do notice the deck floor is very soft and flexible in many areas. There are a few small cracks as well, but what is the significance of the soft deck? Is this going to lead to more severe cracks, and is there anything that can be done about it?

We do seem to get some water in the hull every time we take it out so is there some material under the deck that is rotting? What are the materials used in the hull construction in this area? Can't see anything by looking into that little plug hole at the back!

Thanks for any info...
-Mark

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
I have read many of the forum posts about cracks; we have had very little cracking problem on our H17, but I do notice the deck floor is very soft and flexible in many areas. There are a few small cracks as well, but what is the significance of the soft deck? Is this going to lead to more severe cracks, and is there anything that can be done about it? We do seem to get some water in the hull every time we take it out so is there some material under the deck that is rotting? What are the materials used in the hull construction in this area? Can't see anything by looking into that little plug hole at the back! Thanks for any info... -Mark
My 99 Hunter 170 had what I'd call a warped deck floor or "sole" also. I had a few cracks appear and repairs them. Keep in mind this boat has a foam core and the outer skin would separate as it expands and contracts in different temperatures.