Soap in the boat

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
In the winter when our boat is on the hard we spread dryer sheets all around, keeps down spiders and also makes the boat smell nice and can re-use them in the spring!

Jul 9, 2018
Catalina 25 Lake Monroe
Unfortunately, my sense of smell is like a damned wolf. It was God's cruelest curse. I can accurately tell you what YOU had for breakfast. Haha.

I've always felt that you can't hide stink with another smell. (Looking at you, Febreeze disciples!) If you put in Irish Spring, it's just going to smell like funk and Irish Spring.

I believe you really have to eliminate the source of the smell, then you can add Irish Spring or dryer sheets or whatever for a pleasant aromatherapy effect. :) Just my .02.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Just spoke with another cruiser and she sprays peppermint essence around the boat, cheap from Walmart, and it is supposed to control bugs and rodents. Also good for keeping mosquitos away on your skin.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
If Irish Spring floats and you put it on your boat does it add buoyancy?, Will you have to modify your WL if you put too much on?......

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Regarding odors; Sailed as part of a crew on an old sailboat in need of some maintenance. Several day trip to Nova Scotia. On the way we experienced engine failure and all attempts to repair at sea failed. Eventually, we sailed into beautiful Lunenburg Harbor where efforts to repair the motor continued without success. On shore finally, we went to a restaurant and proceeded to drink Canada Dry. Waitress opined that we must be sailors. Our Captain asked how she knew, "Was it because we looked nautical?"
"No", she said, "Because you reek of diesel."

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Unless of course you are driven by the Atomic...... or your engine runs without failure.....