Soap in the boat

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL

I have read that people put soap (like those pictured above) in their campers to keep the camper smelling nice. Do you think that would work in the boat? They also said it keeps mice out of the camper and home. Don't know about that, but I wonder how it would work in the boat? Cheap solution to an odor problem.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
It would keep it smelling nice as long as you like the smell of Irish Spring.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
In ye olde days in England, the posh gentlemen used to carry “vinegarettes “ - little silver snuff box like containers of strong but pleasant material that they would bring to their noses to offset the reek of London's streets. This sounds a bit like that.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Fresh Cab
Sold as a rodent repellent, but we like it as a freshener on the boat.
We throw some new packets in the boat when it is stored for the winter, and it smells great in the spring.
Depending on how many packets you use, and how big the boat, they can work as a freshener all summer, and be changed every fall.

Great IMO. I love the smell of Balsam Fir trees.
YMMV

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
In ye olde days in England, the posh gentlemen used to carry “vinegarettes “ - little silver snuff box like containers of strong but pleasant material that they would bring to their noses to offset the reek of London's streets. This sounds a bit like that.
Same reason for flower bouquets in weddings...used to cover the body smells when people only took a bath in the spring.

Greg

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I suppose. Do remember growing up in the Sen Sen days when bad breath was held at bay with a licorice tasting small black candy bit. Quite effective if brushing was irregular. Maybe these would work to offset boat odors for those Brits who have a disdain for Irish Spring. :snooty:

One thing about growing up on a dairy farm. Smells were, er quite strong at times, especially in the summer. My sniffer remains especially sensitive to this day, but it also can tolerate just about any offensive odor. Wifey however never had such an experience, but complains incessantly about boat odors. Me, it smells like a boat.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I personally prefer the smells of creosote, bleach, diesel fuel, and fresh caught fish over salty bay water and teak oil. Those are the smells I grew up on.
As far as sensitivity goes, I did a face plant on my bicycle a few years ago and it damaged my sinuses, so I can never smell the 'bad' odors that offend my wife. She's even stopped asking me to "smell this. Tell me if you think it's gone bad?"
Brian, if you think Ivory soap will work, keep in mind, Ivory soap floats.

-Will (Dragonfly)

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Dryer sheets in the lockers...
Fresh smell and spiders don’t like them.

Irish Spring in shredded in the shrubery keeps the deer and rabbits away. You don’t come home from a sailing trip and have to replace half the bushes.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
there may be a few posters here that might not be too familiar with a bar of soap. :biggrin:
YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT! Cruisers on an IP38 suggested I bring a liquid soap, as it does not coagulate on everything like bar soap. True, it is. I switched to liquid soaps at home and there is no soap scum on the tub nor shower doors. I haven't had to clean the tub in, oh, 15 years:laugh:

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
I personally prefer the smells of creosote, bleach, diesel fuel, and fresh caught fish over salty bay water and teak oil. Those are the smells I grew up on.
As far as sensitivity goes, I did a face plant on my bicycle a few years ago and it damaged my sinuses, so I can never smell the 'bad' odors that offend my wife. She's even stopped asking me to "smell this. Tell me if you think it's gone bad?"
Brian, if you think Ivory soap will work, keep in mind, Ivory soap floats.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Like @Terry Cox I grew up with the "smell of country living" from dairy farms and pig farms so bad odors never bothered me. I'm doubly protected because I have also had my nose broken twice (both times someone broke it for me-ah youth) and my sniffer isn't what it used to be now that it has a couple bends in it. On the boat I use (of all things) a glade plug in-I daysail with an occasional overnight and the smell lasts for a few days without shorepower.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
On Brian's recommendation, I bought three bars of Irish Spring for the boat today. I’m going green!

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I have read that people put soap (like those pictured above) in their campers to keep the camper smelling nice. Do you think that would work in the boat? They also said it keeps mice out of the camper and home. Don't know about that, but I wonder how it would work in the boat? Cheap solution to an odor problem.
I think if more people used the soap for what it was intended for it might reduce the odors in the cabin. Especially on extended cruises.