So yeah, bought a sailboat...

Jun 16, 2021
O'Day DS II Onalaska TX
... I got a DS2. '74 vintage. The price was right, and it was not far away. Some things need work, some things can wait until I get her wet, and make sure there are no (or minimal) leaks. Not my first boat, or my fifth boat, so I'll make this hull be an example.
01212_jVwkB1bRpt8z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Jun 16, 2021
O'Day DS II Onalaska TX
Today I also bought some repair supplies. Resin, tint, and some bitchen 3M sandpaper. I have plans for the cuddy interior (practical). First I will (safely) remove the icky-scaled interior paint, several steps at a time.
024.JPG
066.JPG

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Nice looking boat.

Welcome to SBO, where the best sailors are. They are also friendly enough to let boat owners like me hang out with them. You obviously have expriences and will soon be adding to the value of this incredible forum, so I'm happy to be the first to welcome you aboard.

Interesting compression post and tabernacle setup. Is that original or a modification to the DS2? My '73 O'Day Mariner has a gold spar that looks like that, but the compression post is just a metal pipe.

I look forward to reading about you project. Hope to see it done and on the water soon.

-Will

Jun 16, 2021
O'Day DS II Onalaska TX
Thank you for the welcome Will. I'll try my best. :) I researched the design, and heard good and bad (mostly good). For the style of sailing and "present circumstances" this DS2 seemed like a good fit for me. I also read almost every thread/post here in this category (smaller O'day craft) for a boat like mine, or similar, for the past decade. I do believe that the centerboard set-up for mine is as it was delivered in '74. The "gold anodized" mast and boom were an option, as was the above-cuddy mast hinge assembly. Learned a lot from "Sunbird", and other knowledgeable contributors here. Thanks again. C.B.

Jun 16, 2021
O'Day DS II Onalaska TX
More work in the cuddy. I know the "inside" is mostly for stowage. Still, upon inspection, I see some things that need to be fixed. The top glass "lap" at the forward bulkhead is loose, and poorly done. There are some "hollow" spots along the overhead "strakes", also poorly laid. We'll fix that today. Texas got a "front" this morning, and things will be low humidity. Rare for summer here, good for glassing fixes.
001 .25.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Good about the weather. The template looks good. You obviously do careful work.

-Will

Jun 16, 2021
O'Day DS II Onalaska TX
The initial plans for the forward bulkhead are progressing slowly. It has rained 12 out 15 days recently. The 100% daily humidity does not help for glassing. Then there are the mosquitos.... ruthless. I found an old bimini frame, and set it up for a temporary "work dodger". With an old tent "rain-fly", I dodge rain and bugs, for now.

Attachments

Jun 16, 2021
O'Day DS II Onalaska TX
I have been wanting to replace what flotation there may be forward. I have seen some DS II owners opt to install a "Kayak Hatch". I considered that, yet decided on an 8" circular opening.

Attachments