So peaceful looking, yes?

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
The fact that it's posted in a sailboat forum may have influenced the outcome. Post it on a car restoration forum and see what the opinions are... I notice that my hearing, sight, etc are often heavily influenced by context. The influence is greater in proportion to the amount of information missing from the input. Apparently, my brain gets a snippet of information and tries to complete it based entirely on context. Sometimes it's right on point. Other times, not so much...

I saw beach under a somewhat ominous sky... Until I read the lower text. Now, I just see car body suffering from a high center encounter... I preferred the beach!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The fact that it's posted in a sailboat forum may have influenced the outcome. Post it on a car restoration forum and see what the opinions are... I notice that my hearing, sight, etc are often heavily influenced by context. The influence is greater in proportion to the amount of information missing from the input. Apparently, my brain gets a snippet of information and tries to complete it based entirely on context. Sometimes it's right on point. Other times, not so much...
No doubt context makes a big difference. The first thing I noticed about the thread was the question mark at the end of the subject. That probably preset my brain to find a reason it’s not peaceful looking, thus the ominous clouds.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
No doubt context makes a big difference. The first thing I noticed about the thread was the question mark at the end of the subject. That probably preset my brain to find a reason it’s not peaceful looking, thus the ominous clouds.
I like your reason better than mine for the ominous slant. I have a healthy respect for lightning (if you know what I mean :yikes:). Anytime I see a cloud that's the least bit dark, it gets my attention...

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
... Apparently, my brain gets a snippet of information and tries to complete it based entirely on context. Sometimes it's right on point. Other times, not so much...
Are you right of center on the dyslexia spectrum? I've noticed my students who are mildly lexdyxic :)biggrin:) often have very excellent guestimating skills. I've often wondered if a reliance on their "estimator" brain inhibited the development of solid reading habits early in life.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Not sure that I have any dyslexia, but I haven't been tested. Probably a lack of patience more than an actual wiring issue. I don't really have a good excuse for the way I am...:banghead:

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I think I'm mildly dyslexic and my wife gets annoyed at how I "guess right" most of the time. But I think I am doing what you said.... I get 80% of the data and fill in the rest using context.