So I found this bolt ...

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Scary. God only knows. One way to track it down would be, if you have the engine parts manual, is to search for that particular screw.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Could you post a picture of the head of the bolt where there is some lettering? If you could put a dime next to it for those of us who don't know what M10 X 1.25 means. Maybe someone will pass a clue on.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
what M10 X 1.25 means
M = metric
10 = 10mm diameter, about 3/8"
1.25 = 1.25mm thread pitch, or about 20 TPI

Note the inch comparisons I supplied are not correct, only the metric designation is; I just gave them for our metric-challenged associates. :)

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Perhaps not structural due to the counter sunk head. Looks like a bolt that would retain a part to a larger part, like the engine block. Look at things like the fuel filter, oil filter attachment, alternator, shutdown attachment, etc.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
I just went through the entire M25XPG manual at https://www.westerbeke.com/parts manual/201021 parts manual m25xpb-m35b-m40b revision 2 final.pdf and I do not see that flat top socket bolt anywhere. There are plenty of M10 bolts, but they are either capscrews or regular bolts. At this point I am just going to have to get a mirror and look everywhere. A 6mm allen wrench fits it and it has the markings MSV and 10.9 on the head. FWIW I cheated and took it to Lowes and used their bolt finder to find the size.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Probably thrown in there by a PO just to drive you crazy!

I have heard stories about Cadillac owners trying to find the source of an annoying rattle in the dash or door panel…just to find a nut with a tag on it, left there by someone on the assembly line on a Friday afternoon :poop:

Of course I did find a couple of nuts under my engine once, and then I noticed that 2 of the transmission output flange to prop shaft coupling bolts were missing the nuts !

good luck on the scavenger hunt:cool:

Greg

Sep 29, 2008
Probably thrown in there by a PO just to drive you crazy!
Thanks Greg you actually made me laugh. But I have owned the boat for 16 years now so this is a new one on me. It looks wicked familiar so when I fit its home I will likely be slapping my forehead as it will be obvious.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Thanks Greg you actually made me laugh. But I have owned the boat for 16 years now so this is a new one on me. It looks wicked familiar so when I fit its home I will likely be slapping my forehead as it will be obvious.
Ok…so you are the only one to blame!

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
I would look for something painted grey.

Next I would inspect the steering and pedestal

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Guessing, it may be a set screw or cover hold screw to something.
Perhaps the starter motor cover.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
People drop things and then figure it is not worth it to hunt them down and just leave them. If it were important , something would have busted by now.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
The window on my new 1968 VW was making noise so I took the door apart and found a glass Heineken bottle sealed in the door. Friday manufacture?

Sep 29, 2008
Bazinga! Joe White gets the Gold Star. Turns out it is one of two under the bracket that the port motor mount attaches to. In the part manual they show those as Cap Screws but on my engine they are flat top socket bolts. Attached is a picture on the port side as well as the page of the engine manual (tried to get a picture of the port side, but the angle was bad and the light worse); part #18 is the one.

Attachments