Snapped Shift Cable H34

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ron Dague

I snapped the shift cable on my 1983 h34 last week while sailing in the Keys. Needless to say, it happened as I was docking. To make a long story short (I know: too late for that now), anyone know where I can pick one up. Ft. Lauderdale would be easiest, but Fed Ex. is also a solution. I'm also looking to pick up spare throttle cable. (planning ahead!) Thx in advance. Also, any advice in installing is welcome.

P

Patrick Ewing

Tie a messenger line to the broken cable

and use it to help pull the new one into place. Try not to bend it too much when putting it into place. Mine broke too and I was lucky to be able to stop and tie up on a wall. I got my replacement cable at West Marine. You might want to check your throttle cable too while you are at it. Good luck Patrick

G

Gene

help us!

When you get the new cable installed, it would be of great help to us H-34 owners to know just what you bought, where you bought it, and what you learned about its installation! The person that responded to you earlier didnt say where his cable broke and was the one he ordered an exact replacement. Details help. Thank you

D

David L

Tele-Flex

It's just a tele-flex cable. Buy them at any marine store. What gets them is allowing to much travel in reverse. I ended up putting a mechanical stop to limit the travel located it on the pedestal under the compass. Dave

A

Al Nash

EMERGENCY SHIFTING

Your cable breakage scared the he-- out of me, so I inspected mine and it looks OK; but just for a drill, I had my wife do some shifting to my commands using a boat hook across the top of the engine to the transmission---worked good for an emergency.

P

Patrick Ewing

Mine broke near the lower end of the cable

probably from bending it too much when it was installed. I have a 37.5 though so it may not be the same. It was a standard teleflex cable. I would like to know more details about the cable stop modification that David mentioned.

D

David L

Mechanical Stop

When you shift into reverse the cable is pulled up out of the cover. If the shifter allowed to much travel the solid part of the cable gets in a bind when shifted back into neutral. Eventually it wears out and jams in reverse. Take off the compass and it's mounting and will be able to see the cable action as you go from reverse to neutral. What I did was take a piece of 1/16 aluminum plate and install it as to limit the distance the shifter could travel in reverse once the transmission was ingaged using screws. Now when I use reverse the lever hits the stop and life is good. David

Status
Not open for further replies.