Snap Shackle rather than locking halyard shackles

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I am getting ready to replace halyards..... Often I see the jib has a snap shackle rather than a locking shackle. Is this due to the fact that back in the day jibs were hank on and removed often? I was just going to get all locking (Tylaska) as obviously they seems are secure but figured I'd ask the questions in case I am missing something.

Thanks!

Greg

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Snap shackles are a tradeoff. They aren't as secure or as strong as a locking shackle, but they are much much easier to use. So for headsails that traditionally need to be changed regularly snap shackles are a better option. Snap shackles are subject to corrosion so need to be inspected on some frequency. They risk opening all by themselves, when the wind blows hard..............exactly the time you definitely don't want them to. Where you do not remove the head sail very often a locking shackle is a more reliable option. My two cents.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
My roller furled jib and main both have thimbles with captive threaded pins, similar to Dave’s photo. Have been problem free.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Going with the locking shackles...... Regarding the swivel., my furling top car is two sections where the bottom rotates and top is fixed.

Thanks!

Greg

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I use snap shackles on the spin halyard and second jib halyard without any problems. On the main and genoa U we use standard d shackles that we wire with monel to insure they do not come apart aloft.
An old company called Merriman Holbrook (I still have one if their winches aboard) that made marine equipment like snatch shackles one could trust their lives to, but unfortunately their gear was so good you never had to replace it, so they folded.
Point being nobody trusts the modern snapshackles to go aloft on, so why use them at all? stick with D shackles and monel wire, unless you are a racer.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
I use snap shackles on the spin halyard and second jib halyard without any problems. On the main and genoa U we use standard d shackles that we wire with monel to insure they do not come apart aloft.
An old company called Merriman Holbrook (I still have one if their winches aboard) that made marine equipment like snatch shackles one could trust their lives to, but unfortunately their gear was so good you never had to replace it, so they folded.
Point being nobody trusts the modern snapshackles to go aloft on, so why use them at all? stick with D shackles and monel wire, unless you are a racer.
Could not agree more.... I hate to fall. Main, jib and spare main halyard/topping lift all with locking shackles......

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Tylaska
I met the engineer who designs and market these at the Annapolis Boat show. He was and interesting fellow. I liked the design. I would not be afraid to use one if I was in the market.

I, like Capta, have D shackles that I screw closed and safety wire.

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
+1 for locking shackles on main and furling head sail. Wouldn't use a snap for going aloft. Maybe as a safety line but even then I tie a bowline.