Snakes On A Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducati

Nov 19, 2008
Boatless Boatless Annapolis
Just noticed that the boat docked beside us had just placed 3 rubber fake cobra snakes on the deck. They must think that birds will avoid landing near the boat for fear of being eaten.

I had to laugh at it because it looked so ridiculous, then I looked at the deck of our boat because it is covered with bird crap...and that looks worse.

Anyhow I'm thinking that I might head down to the dollar store and pick me up some rubber reptiles + snakes.

Comments...

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
On one of the farms where I grew up they used to hang dead crows by there feet from the trees.
I don't think seagulls are smart enough to make the connection.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
... and I use rubber snakes in my peach trees to keep the crows from pecking at the peaches.

Works!

Jan 3, 2009
Marine Trader 34 Where Ever I am
Odds are that those with the rubber snakes, that claim they work, would not have a problem with birds if they took them away. There is no science that they prevent anything and we usually see the ducks sitting on top of them on swim platforms and many covered with bird crap just like the rest of the boat. Birds will target one boat and completely ignore the one next to it. We had problems and did lots of research. We used snakes, owls, balls with foil eyes, DVDs hung all over the boat and just about everything else. NONE OF IT WORKED. We did have limited success with mylar strips that crackle in the wind and reflect the sunlight. But when no wind, no affect. We finally resolved the issue by moving the boat. Chuck

Mar 19, 2011
Catalina C25 Eagle Mountain Lake
A buddy has a huge Bradford Pear tree next to his driveway. It would get infested with birds and the cars in the driveway would be a mess. He bought several rubber snakes, realistic looking ones, and tossed them up in the tree. They hang from the branches and some are coiled up on the bigger branches.

No birds....nada....clean cars!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I didn't have a bird problem.. but last weekend when I opened the cockpit locker cover to "the pit", there was a snakeskin draped around the drip channel under the locker lid.. I can see from the skin that it was not a poisonus snake, but I sure hope he has left the area ! It would not be fun to be down there in the locker with the batteries and have a snake come out from below the fuel tank !

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Well, boats are not trees and different birds react to different deterrents so some research needs to be done for the particular species. BoatUS had a write up a while back on the issue with lots of suggestions, http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/birds/default.asp . Hope it is helpful. Chuck
I like the idea in the article about 100's of hangning empty beer cans, I'm getting started on that project right away. :dance:

Jul 4, 2011
Cal 33 ft. MKII Clayton, N.Y. St. Lawrence Rvr
I don't know about fact or fiction on the rubber snake, but it worked on my boat. I had one winch that was white and grey. I washed it, snaked it, it has been chrome ever since. Don't know why, but I'm happy. My other sheet winch had some beginning residue on it and that stopped too.

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
I didn't have a bird problem.. but last weekend when I opened the cockpit locker cover to "the pit", there was a snakeskin draped around the drip channel under the locker lid.. I can see from the skin that it was not a poisonus snake, but I sure hope he has left the area ! It would not be fun to be down there in the locker with the batteries and have a snake come out from below the fuel tank !
Snakes like rats. Do you have a rat problem on your dock? I woke up one night to see a rat jump to the companionway from the galley counter. They built new floating docks and "embarrassed" the rats environment. (I think that is the proper nautical term according to the other post on col-regs)

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Snakes like rats. Do you have a rat problem ?
Here in SW floridawe have what they call fruit rats. Mouse or vole sized critters. Lots of rat snakes to go with that. I found a corn snake about 5' long in my anchor locker after along summer with no anchoring.

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Rubber snakes...

I keep one laying on top of my tool box in one of my lockers. Should scare the crap out of any would-be thief if he opens it in the dark. Hoping it will make him easier to find with a bloodhound--snif, snif, gag!

Status
Not open for further replies.