Snake on a boat

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Well, if the Admiral saw one on our boat, I'd be looking for a new hobby.

TommmD

Jul 22, 2014
Hunter Legend 355 Portsmouth, RI
I wouldn't have to worry about getting my wife - or daughter - back on the boat, just how to get them down the mast!! Might cure the spider fears..

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Hell, if I saw ONE on the boat, I would be looking for a new hobby!

Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 26 Lake Pueblo Colorado
You Guys are Hilarious, actually this is the third time we have had a rattler come aboard, once in the middle of the day. Anchored out in the bay, guests aboard, swimming etc and just getting ready to barbecue and up the swim ladder comes about a 3ft rattler. Lucky I saw him before the dogs, was able to flip him into the drink, as i had a spatula in my hand. But you should have seen the look on look guests face.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Wonder how he would act if you peed all over him. That's what I would do..
That reminded me of a joke my dad once told me.... something about getting bit in a bad place.... and the punch line goes... "And what did the doctor say?... You gonna die"

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I don't believe it!!! Nobody came up with the correct answer at all. :snooty:

You look down at the snake, fire up the grill and lick your lips. Before the grill gets ready, the snake will be gone.

And if he's not gone, tastes like chicken. :D

Water Moccasins taste like mud, however.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Good Luck. I still haven't figured out how to keep these guys off the boat.

Boy, I just don't see what all the fuss is about. Nature is providing you (and the folks with the snakes) with a bounty of delicacies and you all can't even see it. Get out the grill and BARB Q those little buggers and you'll never go back to veal!

Zed

Aug 19, 2015
West Wight Potter 19 Bar Harbor
I'd go with the CO2 on your railing, ready to go. CO2 will freeze them solid, and you can then lift them out without danger. Forget the snake bit kit. anti Venom would be what you need.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I Have Been Told Rattlers Are On The Endangered Species List In Virginia And Cannot Shoot Them. If True, I Would Like To Know Whose Mind Thought Of That One. If One Comes In My Yard, Like The Lady On The Internet, He Is In My House And Time To Serve Him Up On A Plate

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
I know it's more fun to believe whatever you want to believe and then whine about how what you've been told doesn't jive with your particular values, but with this new-fangled gizmo called "Web Search Engine" one can easily verify which species are considered endangered. But if people actually learned the facts, what would we ***** and moan about?

Zed

Aug 19, 2015
West Wight Potter 19 Bar Harbor
Most people only use mouse traps. Remove all sources of food and hang one of those plastic owls from the rigging.
I caught a black snake in a mouse trap one time. They will check out the food. But I'd use a big rat trap since the mouse trap might not be strong enough to break their necks or asphyxiate them. So moth balls in the cockpit and on the seats, and a rat trap with food, and then a co2 extinguisher on the rails incase you see one before you get on.

Snake repellant in the water when you are moored?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I Have Been Told Rattlers Are On The Endangered Species List In Virginia And Cannot Shoot Them. If True, I Would Like To Know Whose Mind Thought Of That One. If One Comes In My Yard, Like The Lady On The Internet, He Is In My House And Time To Serve Him Up On A Plate
i do know when i am in Virginia they are

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
So I've heard this theory that goes something like this: The rattlesnakes that make a lot of noise are the ones that get poached and generally end up dead. The sneaky ones that don't rattle will win the evolutionary battle. I'm thinking that I can better appreciate the noisy ones, because I am more likely to get a warning rather than a fight. Mind you, I've never actually run across a poisonous snake even though they (timber rattlers & copperheads) are around us in the mountains (hills - we call them mountains). I generally like to live and let live ... not that I'm against eating tasty animals.