Smashed

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
Our Brio was hit in the stern while in slip by a wayward Doral. A dockmate had a mechanical failure in 15k winds and hit us hard first then bounced lightly into another boat. Unfortunately, his wife tried to intervene between 30,000lb of boats and suffered a badly sprained ankle. Could have been much worse...

Starboard stern rail is crushed 4" forward, and bolts sheared. Backstay turnbuckle is bent into a "Z". Thankful no damage to fiberglass. Backstay will be replaced this week, and I hope to sail this weekend.

Has anyone had to replace a stern rail or bow pulpit? Any feedback on led time through Catalina?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Don't know about the lead time but get a survey! Don't assume you can see all the damage. If you got hit hard enough to shear bolts you probably have some fiberglass damage you can't see.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
I agree with the survey. Find all the damage now while the insurance claim is open rather than later when you can't get paid back.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I was thinking about this more last night, if your turnbuckle was bent into a Z, or bent at all for that matter, don't just replace the turnbuckle and go back out. You need a full rig inspection before you sail this boat. That much force on the backstay could have damaged the top of the backstay, the chainplate, the forestay, etc. It would be extremely unwise to just replace the turnbuckle and go out sailing. This means you really need to take off your headsail and partially disassemble the furling unit to look for damage. Someone will need to go up the mast and inspect the top portions of the rigging there too.

Again, you very likely have fiberglass damage you can't see. The stern pulpit is held in place with bolts into a metal plate that is glassed into the hull. Someone will need to get to the underside of that area to inspected it. You will also need to sound around the area to look for delamination issues. When you inspect damaged fiberglass you often use a graphic powder. The powder sits in cracks that are not visible to the eye to help you find damage.

I don't mean to be a downer but I think you will be lucky to be sailing in a month. This is more significant than you are thinking.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
My boat was hit last month. Yes, I was on starboard, called the other skipper who looked right at me, and no, I'm not going to discuss it further.
I contacted Catalina in Sarasota. The estimate for a new Catalina 310 Stern rail (the port side of mine is damaged) is $1543.50 plus shipping. Shipping will be north of $250. There are none in stock. They are made by the original manufacturer, somewhere in California, shipped to Catalina, who ships it to you. I just had a stanchion made. That took six weeks to arrive. The best guess on the rail is two months.
Don't be surprised if the holes don't line up exactly. The originals may need to be filled and new ones drilled. Removing the seat to put on the new one won't be an issue, but running the speaker wire will be. The wire is spliced after it goes through the "toe" rail in the stern. It is a tight fit, but I managed to squeeze back there.

Attachments

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Thank you all for the replies. I do have a professional going over everything. Front of boat was driven into the dock and fortunately lines turned it into the rub rail. Entire Backstay is being replaced and he will inspect and re-adjust the rig. Wasn't just the turnbuckle as the cable is also damaged. Chain plate looks unscathed. Will need to straighten the rail a bit to clear the Backstay. Insurance has agreed to pay in two parts. Restore sail ability, then rail and balance. Thanks for the rail cost, as it was close to our expectations. I expect the rail will be installed on the hard in Spring. no one would want to do it in the snow here. The other boat owned has been a complete gentleman, and his wife is recovering quickly.

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Funny. The second boat hit is named Amazing Grace. Sorry about your experience. Has the glass damage been repaired?

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Funny. The second boat hit is named Amazing Grace. Sorry about your experience. Has the glass damage been repaired?
Fiberglass and Gelcoat repair starts on Monday.

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Backstay is replaced and we are sailing. Rigging survey all OK. Had to bend the rail back quite a bit to clear the undistorted backstay. Warren Pandy's minions are searching for a starboard pushpit. We found out no drawings made. Catalina's fabricator fits a model to #1, and once approved, they use it as a master to clone the rest. No special post production treatment for the master, and it may have been used on the last boat produced. If Catalina doesn't have one, we will likely use a local fabricator to clone one using the bent one, supplemental measurements, and maybe even the port side rail. I may end up paying for indoor storage this winter in order to be fixed by Spring. At least I can use the boat for remainder of Lake Erie season (31 Oct).

Attachments

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Warren's team found a stern rail, so repair progress should continue.

Today, just after we just pulled into our slip returning from the fantastic Catalina 310 Rendezvous at Middle Bass Island, a 42' Chris Craft passed our stern at ~4 knots, music blaring, and suddenly turned right into my friend the Doral and a second boat. Both boats were struck in the swim platforms. Husband and wife were on the second boats swim platform zipping the canvas. She dove through the canvas, while he fell on the swim platform as the CC hull just missed him. Thankfully, both were spared any injury other than empty adrenal glands. We later learned that the CC's transmission lever pin fell out as he shifted.

So many safety shortcomings...
Speed in tight marina
Music when communications are critical
Not checking Reverse out in the open, before you absolutely need it
Routine inspection of critical controls (e.g. see Jesse's Edson maintenance post)
Wow...