Smartwatch while sailing?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Does anyone wear a smartwatch while sailing; for a sailing/racing purpose? If so share. What? How? Wishes? Dreams?

Me? My right wrist (or upper arm) has my Apple Watch series 6 on it, mostly as an activity tracker.

As a watch guy, my left has one of my collection on it; unless I'm sailing. Lately that's mostly my Garmin Fenix 5, a bit of a button-fest but wow a lot of capability. The BTLE (right??) adds the capability to view and control remote devices and boat networks. testing tonight...

IMG_2285.JPG

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I love technology and I do wear watches, but I haven’t tried a smart watch for sailing yet. Actually last season I found myself using my wristwatch for sailing even less, just relying on my MFD and instruments for start times. I really want a reason to justify something like the Fenix, but what’s the value proposition over displays that should be positioned well enough to be visible anyway? I guess if I sailed on OPB’s much I could see it.

How does the interfacing with boat networks work? I presume you add a BTLE gateway to an NMEA network? That definitely opens up cool possibilities for being able to see data like wind speed from anywhere in the boat.

In the Dreams category I’d say being able to control the autopilot while sitting anywhere in the cockpit, like huddled behind a dodger in the rain. But at least with Navico that’s not even permitted over wifi, much less BTLE.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
If I didn’t have my Gulf Master G I’d have a Garmin. Tides, moon phase, bariometric with extreme alarm, world time, atomic time keeping, altitude, compass, temperature, solar. It even tells the time!

Attachments

Nov 8, 2010
I love technology and I do wear watches, but I haven’t tried a smart watch for sailing yet. Actually last season I found myself using my wristwatch for sailing even less, just relying on my MFD and instruments for start times. I really want a reason to justify something like the Fenix, but what’s the value proposition over displays that should be positioned well enough to be visible anyway? I guess if I sailed on OPB’s much I could see it.

How does the interfacing with boat networks work? I presume you add a BTLE gateway to an NMEA network? That definitely opens up cool possibilities for being able to see data like wind speed from anywhere in the boat.

In the Dreams category I’d say being able to control the autopilot while sitting anywhere in the cockpit, like huddled behind a dodger in the rain. But at least with Navico that’s not even permitted over wifi, much less BTLE.
Correct, BTLE; via a gateway, or via a direct connect with a device that supports BTLE.

And dream on, because they do become real. The biggest ask for us is not to able to view the device's data, but to CONTROL it!

Nov 8, 2010
If I didn’t have my Gulf Master G I’d have a Garmin. Tides, moon phase, bariometric with extreme alarm, world time, atomic time keeping, altitude, compass, temperature, solar. It even tells the time!
The KING of the G-Shocks!

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
bought a garmin, but have used it more for heart rate monitor biking than sailing. :O(
As jib/spin trim I found myself mainly calling out time, so often call on the Ronstan.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD

[Actually, I think the watches are neat, but I couldn't help myself. My buddy has the Garmin watch.]

• Ha
Nov 8, 2010
bought a garmin, but have used it more for heart rate monitor biking than sailing. :O(
As jib/spin trim I found myself mainly calling out time, so often call on the Ronstan.
While I own about 5 race timer watches including the best Ronstan Clearstart they make, this is my new favorite.

Yet Another Sailing App (Old school SW developer joke) is awesome and much better than the flaming pile of crap that is the official Garmin app. The screenshot above shows it in race mode, and below in start mode. You can set it to ANY start sequence imaginable (YEA 'cause I see them all), it vibrates instead of lunatic beeps which are for onboard devices, and those rings progress around each minute and change color towards red as go-time approaches. It also records tracks. Recommended.

D6ED905C-0D7E-42EA-89DC-D0B84E8D7A1C.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
[Actually, I think the watches are neat, but I couldn't help myself. My buddy has the Garmin watch.]
That's me for sure. A little Gadget, and little Mcgyver, and and little Bond. Guilty as charged!

I've been hanging about a LOT of the top top pros lately, and they ALL wear them these days. Something's going on.