SmartPlug installation

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Has anyone replaced their Marinco 30 amp., 125 volt boatside inlet with a SmartPlug? I was wondering if the hole pattern of the SmartPlug is identical to the Marinco? I just want to get a jump start on filling holes in the fiberglass if necessary. Thanks.

Nov 12, 2009
J/ 32 NCYC, Western Lake Erie
We replaced ours. I don't recall doing any glass work or filling so I'm thinking it must have been a pretty close match.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
thats a good example of changing it out stu and puts to bed the question about the holes matching very good to know

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
On my 1980 Tartan, the screw holes lined up but I had to file the opening a bit to get the new SmartPlug body in.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
The reason I'm asking about the hole sizes and spacing is because Smart Plug specifically states that:
  1. Test your new SmartPlug for proper fit and alignment of screw holes. (On some installations, you may have to modify the hole in your *boat to accept the new plug. Please use the enclosed rear mounting gasket as template if necessary. Image 4 or Click here for a printable mounting template.)
I just wanted to be prepared in the event modifications to the hole size or locations are necessary. It may not be a direct replacement for the Marinco 30 amp inlet.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
The holes lined up perfectly for me. Probably a 15 minute job once the tools were at hand.
As an aside. I changed out a Marinco connector (female end) with a Smart Plug connector on a Marinco cordset. And I also picked up a 50' SmartPlug cordset from Phil. My thoughts were that for a while there aren't going to be a lot of spares out there on the docks to borrow if mine happens to take a hit.

Jan 22, 2008
Gulf 29 Little Current, ON
Ours was installed very quickly without any adjustments to cutout size or screw hole pattern. My only issue was I got a "polarity wrong" signal on the electrical panel. Took it out, reversed the two wires, and got the same signal. Took it out again, reversed it back to the original positions, and there was no "polarity wrong" signal. I don't know what caused it or how it was solved. Otherwise, a very simple installation.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Ours was installed very quickly without any adjustments to cutout size or screw hole pattern. My only issue was I got a "polarity wrong" signal on the electrical panel. Took it out, reversed the two wires, and got the same signal. Took it out again, reversed it back to the original positions, and there was no "polarity wrong" signal. I don't know what caused it or how it was solved. Otherwise, a very simple installation.
Might have been a loose connection the first try or if you had a wire whisker touching another wire that could be it

Aug 26, 2007
Hunter 41DS Ventura, California
Converted about a year ago. Perfect fit, easy install ( 30 minutes). We leave our power cord on the dock so bought another plug for the cord we keep on the boat. Excellent product.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Of those who have switched, how many have also replaced the whole cable vs just the plug and connector? As they package the boat and cable end together I am guessing most use the same cable again.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i would use new cable ( tinned copper)if i were doing that change the old may well be non tinned copper

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Curious. Why change to Smartplug? Isn't the usual Marinco good enough?

Apr 30, 2015
36 Sloop 36 Chesapeak Bay
Curious. Why change to Smartplug? Isn't the usual Marinco good enough?
The marinco twister type almost burned our boat down. My bride smelled it and we unplugged it in a nick of time. It was burning and melting when I unplugged it. We now have an orange Smarts plug and it is a large improvement. It only took about 1 hour to hook up. Very solid and safe.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Getting ready to install a smart plug and have the flexibility to locate it anywhere

Noticed a couple of companies have located the female recepticle in the protection of a hatched compartment and it sounds like a good idea for mine
Any downside to locating the recepticle inside? Keeping it out of the weather seems good

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
yea you have to keep the boat dry and with a power cord going through a companionway or hatch you will not be able to do this and further more you installed correctly on the outside you should have no leaks