Smart Rig Boom | Escape Rumba

Nov 24, 2020
Escape Rumba Keweenaw Waterway
Hey gang,

I'm looking for a smart rig boom for my escape rumba. In the process of resurrecting the dingy after almost a decade on the hard and this has been the biggest stumbling block so far.

Thanks!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Is the parent co no longer selling parts? I used to own an escape cha cha and it used the same sail plan. I also think there was a time when Hobie owned the escape line (could be wrong about that) so wonder if Hobie might have something that works. The wishbone boom set up is also popular with wind-surfers so you might have some luck there. If you still have the sail then measure the distance from the luff to the clew and add about 4-6” and you will have the length of the boom you need ... call Hobie or laser or shop on a wind-surfer site for a wishbone boom about that size.

Jan 19, 2010
.... or make one out of laminated wooden slats glued together bent around a jig. Shape it with a sander and varnish. It would look bad-assed. I’ve made a bunch of things this way ... tillers etc.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I was thinking if you had the (rough) dimensions you may be able to find something close from Hobie or some other manufacturer of small sailing kayak maker...

Greg

Nov 24, 2020
What happened to the original boom?
Misplaced by the previous owner a decade ago.
.... or make one out of laminated wooden slats glued together bent around a jig. Shape it with a sander and varnish. It would look bad-assed. I’ve made a bunch of things this way ... tillers etc.
Haven't had any luck finding a similar boom... Looking into making one (bent aluminum pipe) however I am having difficulty determining the proper metal to use, and where to have it bent... Your idea of building one is intriguing, would that be strong enough? Also it would have to attach to a separate vertical pipe rather than the mast (see drawing of original boom below)
RUMBA BOOM LAYOUT.jpeg

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I have the Captiva model and the boom should be relatively easy to make. Just head over to your local exhaust shop and have them bend you a piece of aluminum stock in the thickest wall they have. That should work and then all you need to do is drill the hole for the spring pin for keeping the boom from falling out when you capsize. you'll also need to put some sort of end cap in place for the outhaul but there you can really use just about anything even a PVC Cap. These little plastic boats are so simple there almost indestructible. We call our the banana boat and the kids use it for playing around on the shore from time to time. Heck even if you puncture the hull you can repair it with a plastic bucket scrap and a blow torch.

Edit: forgot to mention to use a PVC plug not a cap in the end that goes inside the boat. That way you can drill the hole for the SS Spike that it sits on to eliminate slop.

Jan 19, 2010
So here is the pic of the tiller jig I used... I simply screwed blocks into the floor of my shed.
tiller2.jpg

... and here is a pic of the starting materials and set up....

tiller3.jpg
tiller4.jpg

I've even built entire sheds using this technique....

SAM_1204.JPG

My advice would be to trace out what you need onto a piece of plywood (or the floor of a shed) and then (using drywall screws) screw in blocks of wood scrap to trace the outline of the trace. Rip some long pieces of thin slats from a pice of 2x4 fir and then another set of slats from cedar or oak (to give some nice contrast). Then glue it up in the jig and clamp. Notice the plastic on the floor of the 3rd pic. That is so you don't accidently glue your new boom to the floor :yikes:. Next you will want to shape it up. If you have a grinder that is the easiest way but some 80 grit sand paper on an orbital sander will make short work. Then varnish and she will look hot...

Rudder_Repair7.jpg

If it were mine I'd build this...
1606863552898.png

but @LakeShark 's idea of going to a muffler shop is probably easier, quicker and cheaper.

Nov 24, 2020
aluminum stock in the thickest wall they have
Would this be strong enough? The sail is pretty small so I can't imagine there would be to much force on the boom. I talked to an exhaust shop about a week ago about bending aluminum and they were telling me they bend pipe but not aluminum/you would need a mandrel... I didn't really understand it. Going to call around more tomorrow.

If it were mine I'd build this...
Now that I see it, this idea sounds sick, looks like you ripped to an eighth inch for the tiller? Do you ever soak or steam before bending? Also what type of adhesive/finishing did you use/do?

Jan 19, 2010
Now that I see it, this idea sounds sick, looks like you ripped to an eighth inch for the tiller? Do you ever soak or steam before bending? Also what type of adhesive/finishing did you use/do?
Actually Lowes sells those strips in the furniture wood isle. I alternated oak and pine to give the color patterns. Sometimes you can also find cedar but Lowes was out of cedar the day I went to buy slats. I three wood color pattern would have been much nicer. I used Gorilla glue for the adhesive. DON'T FORGET TO PUT PLASTIC ON THE FLOOR :facepalm:.

For the tiller job the slats were thin enough and the bends gentle enough that I did not need to soak for this job. I have soaked in the past for other projects and for the bend you need... you might have to. For a soaking trough, I bought some of the cheapest gutter stock Lowe's sold and made a trough out of a gutter (I guess you could actually use the gutter on your house if you stopped it up for a night). Then I layed a brick on the slats to keep the slats submerged while they soaked over night. I think you could devise any number of ways to soak the slats. If you have a long piece of 4" PVC pipe... that would also work... or a pond or lake nearby... tie some bricks to a bundle of slats and submerge them over night etc. If you go for it... I'd love to see pictures of your build.