Smaller Genoa

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don’t know what boat you are sailing but the answer is yes. I can cite one Tartan 33 owner, who races, and has had success in club level racing with a 135 instead of the 150.

Jun 28, 2021
Catalina Catalina 22 Pelican Lake
I don’t know what boat you are sailing but the answer is yes. I can cite one Tartan 33 owner, who races, and has had success in club level racing with a 135 instead of the 150.
Thanks. I should have included in my question that I’m on a Catalina 22, and I’m trying to sail it single handed.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
For reasons I don't understand, the type of boat you're sailing comes up on my laptop but not on my phone. I was responding on my phone. But it's a tip to posters to include that information even if you think we all can see it.
Catalina 22 sailors can answer your question better than I. Nevertheless my answer remains yes. Don't make me break out the graphs!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Has anyone replaced the standard 150% Genoa with a smaller, more manageable sail?
It is common to change headsails to match up with wind and weather conditions. I have 4 headsails in my inventory, that includes a 110% working jib, also called a "blade". Also I have a large overlapping headsail, 145% genoa, an intermediate sized 125% "lapper", and a wire luff tall staysail that I've never measured. Though intended to fly with the racing spinnaker, I have found the lighter cloth weight, detached luff and high aspect (tall & skinny) shape to work well in very light air. Really easy to handle since you don't need to clip it on to the forestay....just tack it and hoist.
The big genoa is a racing sail I haven't used much the past few years. It's a "deck sweeper" with a big window for visibility, but it's still hard to see where you're going, especially when single handing..... handling can be challenging if you don't have a crew to station by the mast to help it across the foredeck in light air. The Lapper is a sail I used a lot until I bought the 110, now I use that sail (blade) all the time.... knowing I can add more sail area if desired. The sail's high cut clew provides excellent visibility between foot and deck, which also makes handling super easy... important when single handing.

There are some nifty techniques for changing hanked on sails that may interest you, but that would need another thread.

IMHO, I think you should invest in a working jib, 110%, medium to heavy weight cloth with high cut clew. ***Remember, to make sail changing infinitely easier, use two separate sheets attached with bowline knots. Therefore you can use the same set of sheets for both sails. You can also mark the optimum lead block location for each sail ahead of time, for convenience. Finally, with great emphasis, I recommend that you: Do not rig with one long, "cow hitch" attached, single sheet.