small vessel reporting system blues

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
The red tape is giving me the blues, i can't figure this out:
I am trying to get all my ships papers in order to go to the bahamas. I am trying to get the small vessel reporting system registration done. I am online and filling out the "application wizard. but when i try to complete the form it wants me to enter something called a US CBP USER FEE decal number. I do not know what that is and cannot find out how to get one. I have surfed the net and only get more confused. Do we really need to do all this?
I am sure some of you folks have been through this. please help!

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
The red tape is giving me the blues, i can't figure this out:
I am trying to get all my ships papers in order to go to the bahamas. I am trying to get the small vessel reporting system registration done. I am online and filling out the "application wizard. but when i try to complete the form it wants me to enter something called a US CBP USER FEE decal number. I do not know what that is and cannot find out how to get one. I have surfed the net and only get more confused. Do we really need to do all this?
I am sure some of you folks have been through this. please help!
look here https://www.google.com/search?q=CBP...ome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Oct 3, 2011
Tayana 52 Jax
CBP sticker a must have but small vessel reporting not a requirement. Went last year and tried to clear in at Fort Pierce. Registered with Miami, gave boat details and CBP decal number then got my clearance number. Tried to contact customs at Fort Pierce airport over twenty times to report names wtc of crew. No answer and no response to email.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
User Fee Decal

As two others have reported, a User Fee Decal is required. It's an on-line process, a little clunky, but not awful. I get one each year for Mexico returns.

Jan 3, 2009
Marine Trader 34 Where Ever I am
Go here, https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/ , register for a new account, then login and fill out the form. Pay the fee and wait for your decal. That's the number you need for the SVRS card that the website is asking for. Good luck. Chuck

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
For a single visit? Just plan on going to a US port of entry, and skip the website IT nonsense.

Oct 2, 2008
Thanks guys! That does help a lot. So I'm going for the decal, and not worry about the rest.

Oct 2, 2008
Thanks guys! I'm going to get the decal and not worry about the rest.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Is it easier to ask forgiveness than permission?
Checking with CBP is a must, but for a single voyage, going to a port of entry and declaring is my choice over that ridiculous DHS on-line decal purchase hoo-ha.

Oct 2, 2008
CBP sticker a must have but small vessel reporting not a requirement. Went last year and tried to clear in at Fort Pierce. Registered with Miami, gave boat details and CBP decal number then got my clearance number. Tried to contact customs at Fort Pierce airport over twenty times to report names wtc of crew. No answer and no response to email.
so if we don't have to report, why do we need to pay a user fee?

Jan 3, 2009
Marine Trader 34 Where Ever I am
so if we don't have to report, why do we need to pay a user fee?
Please don't get confused. Reporting back into the U.S. is required and you can get into big trouble not doing it. The SVRS card is not required. As to one response, "Is it easier to ask forgiveness than permission?", do you REALLY want to try that with Homeland Security? Chuck

Oct 2, 2008
Please don't get confused. Reporting back into the U.S. is required and you can get into big trouble not doing it. The SVRS card is not required. As to one response, "Is it easier to ask forgiveness than permission?", do you REALLY want to try that with Homeland Security? Chuck
makes sense. Seems like the decal and SARS is better for multiple returns, but for a single return per year, may as well report in person.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
makes sense. Seems like the decal and SARS is better for multiple returns, but for a single return per year, may as well report in person.
I'm trying to get over in the next few weeks and went through the process but didn't have to get the decal. My feeling is that it was easier for me now to drive to the Ft. Myers airport with my vehicle and get the SVRS card and phone number so that I just had to call in on returning vs. having to try and find someplace to anchor or tie up and then getting a cab to go and report in person later.

I set up the appointment online and drove over and gave them my passport and boat registration and a few minutes later had the card and phone number to call with my SVRS number. Now I'm done and coming back will be much simpler.

I also went ahead and paid to get the International MMSI number for the radio which required a Ship's Station License and a Restricted Radio License, $280 total, but there again now I'm in a safer position if something happens and will be legal there and if I go later to Canada. This was a more confusing thing to do than the SVRS but you can do it all online and they e-mail you the number and all the other paperwork in a day or so. I have the steps down now if anyone needs them,

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
I don't see where putting yourself through the DHS pre-processing system gets you out of the very real possibility that CBP will want you and your passengers paperwork dockside for inspection. Especially if they see you and a crew sailing around the horn of Florida back into the gulf on return. Is it really that onerous to just go to a port of entry at Port of Miami or Port of Fort Lauderdale and do a check in with CBP?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I don't see where putting yourself through the DHS pre-processing system gets you out of the very real possibility that CBP will want you and your passengers paperwork dockside for inspection....
The purpose of the SVRS is to eliminate that and make returning easier on a person if that is their wish. They said they still did have the option of asking you to go in and report in person but I haven't found anyone here in the yard that ever had to go ashore as the call worked.

One doesn't have to do it if they don't want to so we both win :dance:

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Thanks Sumner, I'm still evaluating the whole thing.