Small Sailboat Trailer Rental Advice Please

Jun 3, 2021
RS 14' 1" Renton
Does anyone know where I can rent a small sailboat trailer (daysailer is 14' 1" long and 6' wide) for two days near Seattle, WA?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don't know anything about Seattle but you might be best served by renting a U haul or similar trailer or van. A 14' boat shouldn't be that hard to load or unload. On the other hand, a rental boat trailer could be expensive in comparison if even available.

Jun 3, 2021
RS 14' 1" Renton
Hi Andrew, I researched U-Haul and they longest trailers they have are 12'. A 6' x 12' Utility trailer could possibly work, but 2' would hang over the end of the trailer. Hmm?

Jun 3, 2021
RS 14' 1" Renton
I've had one of those utility trailers in the past and even if I had kept it I wouldn't use it to haul a day-sailer because the dimensions are too low - the 4' trailer width may accommodate the boat's 6' beam, but the 8' trailer length will leave at least 5' of the 14' boat's length hanging over the end of the trailer. This could work for a short distance boat move, but I'll be driving over 300 miles. Thank you for the idea.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I've had one of those utility trailers in the past and even if I had kept it I wouldn't use it to haul a day-sailer because the dimensions are too low - the 4' trailer width may accommodate the boat's 6' beam, but the 8' trailer length will leave at least 5' of the 14' boat's length hanging over the end of the trailer. This could work for a short distance boat move, but I'll be driving over 300 miles. Thank you for the idea.

The trailer is just short of 12' the bed is 8'. The bow would be up close to the coupler so you'd have just a couple of feet hanging off the back many boat trailers are set up this way.

I would not use one of these as a permeant solution but for a single use it would be a good option even an all day trip. You could even sell after your done for a couple of hundred dollars easy.

Not sure what you are driving but roof racks are a viable option for 14' boats as well.

Jun 3, 2021
RS 14' 1" Renton
Very good points. If I can't find a true boat trailer to rent, then I'll consider your idea - selling it afterwards for a fair price would be a win-win for me and the buyer. Hmm, the more I consider this the more I like it. Thank you!!!

Jun 2, 2004
There are always coupons available online for Harbor Freight don't forget to use that opportunity as well

You have to sign up for them and you do end up with emails every time you buy something which can be a pain if you use your primary email but you are never going to get something for nothing

Jun 3, 2021
RS 14' 1" Renton
Thanks again for the Harbor Freight info. That's one of my favorite stores and I do use their coupons.

Jun 2, 2004
Be sure to come back and let us know how you successfully moved your boat.

We get excited about the options and invested in pulling for an effort then frustrated in never hearing the outcome.

Pictures are even better

Jun 3, 2021
RS 14' 1" Renton
Okay, I'll let everyone know the boat move status. However, this may not happen for several months as the sailboat purchase is contingent on the purchase of a house on the water - could happen tomorrow or never.

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
I would put out the word that you'd need to borrow or rent a trailer on these or other sailing forums, I would think someone would be glad to lend a hand to another sailor in need. Even if they have to put their boat in the water to let you use their trailer. While it's still boating season there are plenty of empty trailers available to use.

Jun 3, 2021
RS 14' 1" Renton
Great idea George. I had placed a Wanted ad on Craigslist, but I'll do that also on sailboat forums. Thank you!

Jun 3, 2021
RS 14' 1" Renton
Hey Rick, my wife reminded me that I'll need to license any trailer I purchase so even the tiny Harbor Freight trailer will cost me at least $208 to license, so if I can rent one it should be less cost and I don't have to store it. It will be my Plan B. Thanks again for the idea.

Jun 2, 2004
Don't they give you 30 days or something like that to get it done with a new trailer?

Jun 3, 2021
RS 14' 1" Renton
Rick, I studied the WA State DOL website and what I see is "New Washington residents have 30 days from the date they become residents to register their vehicles", which doesn't apply to me, and "There is no period of grace for late registration". I did see that there is an Intermittent Use Trailer registration, but it still includes the one time registration fee of $187.50. The State gots-ta-have it's money.

Jun 2, 2004
Most states give you some sort of grace period from when you buy a car, trailer, or whatever to get it home and get to the registration place to get it registered.

Here in Florida I am pretty sure it is at least 30 days