Small motor for 170

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dick in MI

Thinking of getting a small motor for my 170. Our launch gets crowded and is flanked by private docks so if the wind is tricky it can be a grind getting in and out sometimes. Am thinking of the 2 hp Honda. Anyone have experience with these?

J

John Radcliff

Honda Works Well

I have the 2HP Honda. Works well, but go with the long shaft. It is easy to start, moves the boat along about 4 to 5 knots with 2 of us in the boat. Just remember to lock the motor dead ahead, drop the centerboard, and use the rudder. If the CB must be up, the boat is a PITA to maneuver.

S

Stuart

Tohatsu 3.5 HP 2 stroke

I have a Tohatsu 3.5 hp 2 stroke. It works fine with my 170. I use it so little that a gallon of fuel last me almost all summer, so mixing in the oil is no problem and winterizing is easy. Like John said, lock the motor dead ahead and drop the centerboard and steer with the rudder. I find that my boat works best with the centerboard half way down. Good luck.

E

Edwin

AIG

I have a 2.5HP Mercury which is plenty of HP. The motor came with the boat - didn't realize until after the fact that the motor is AIG - Always In Gear. Just a forewarning to make sure you have a gearshift for nuetral at least - I've found that some of the smaller HP motors do not have that gearshift. It's a mess to spin that motor 180 degrees for reverse when you can't take it out of gear. I'm on the hunt now to replace mine.

B

Bruce Campbell

More info in the archives

For what it's worth, there are several discussions in the archives. Try the link below for one discussion that might be helpful.

D

Dick in MI

Thanks everybody!

I basically need the minimum....light weight and only for those occasions when getting into or out of the launch area is problematic. I do admit that it would also provide a little insurance on ultra-light wind days. I appreciate all of the suggestions.

M

Mark

Trolling motor

I use an electronic trolling motor that does the trick nicely. This may be the cheapest solution - motor and deep cycle battery cost me less than $200. It's also very quiet. I strap the battery box down just in front of the rudder, but I've also heard of people mounting the battery forward and running the cables under the seat. The only down side I've encountered is - don't count on a trolling motor to get you back in against a strong wind, current or tide. If that is a need you have, then go with a fossil fuel alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.