Small hole filler

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I have some devices attached inside the lazarette that I plan on moving. They are attached with screws (maybe less than .25" diameter). Once the device is moved it will leave several small holes in the fiberglass. How does one go about filling those holes, (important) and, how does one make the holes "vanish" (optional), if I may? Meaning, make it look like they were never there.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Thickened epoxy works well. You can get it in syringes now that mix the epoxy for you. I used it to fill some holes in the fiberglass of my small boat. Some gel coat should cover the repairs.

Feb 17, 2006
That lazarette is gel coated but not the standard white. It is an off tan color. That really doesn't make a difference since the holes are so small.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
It is an off tan color.
What if you did a roll and tip paint job on the inside of your laz after you fill and sand the holes? It is a small area that should only take 10 minutes and you could choose a nice accent color to set it off... or if yours is like mine and is usually dirty, pick a color that matches the color of the dirt and then it will always look clean...:kick:

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Or maybe paint it with one of those rubberized paints and that would give your laz some shock resistance for those times when you drop some chain or the winch handle in there. It would also help keep things from sliding around as much.

Feb 17, 2006
I did some searching and found PC-11 should do the trick. I don't need much. When it dries, it is an off-white color which should do.

My question: is it possible to add a few drops of paint with the epoxy to give it some color? I am sure too much might not let the epoxy set correctly. I know, experiment, which I will. I do not want to paint the boat. To do so adds more yearly maintenance, and, what if I get the wrong type of paint? LOL

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I did some searching and found PC-11 should do the trick. I don't need much. When it dries, it is an off-white color which should do.

My question: is it possible to add a few drops of paint with the epoxy to give it some color? I am sure too much might not let the epoxy set correctly. I know, experiment, which I will. I do not want to paint the boat. To do so adds more yearly maintenance, and, what if I get the wrong type of paint? LOL
The epoxies I've worked with have approved colorants that they are able to work with. Check with the manufacturer of the PC-11 if they have such a list. I will also add, I've never had good luck actually "matching" colors doing this, but I have been able to "get close"...

dj

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
We use Marine-Tex for things like that. It comes in a tan color so might match well with what you have. Mixing paint into epoxy is a good way to end up with a mixture of paint and epoxy that is a complete mess of globs of different things that have no relation to what you want. Sort of like putting ball bearings into peanut butter. Not good for sandwiches or for the winches.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Sort of like putting ball bearings into peanut butter. Not good for sandwiches or for the winches.
I am stealing this line! This is just too good!

dj

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I had good success with Evercoat's gel coat scratch patch - comes in a couple of white colors and available at your local Waste Marine for about $15 the tube (which will outlive you, if you're the least careful). You could fill the underlying fiberglass hole shy of the top with epoxy or even old 4200, if you want, but screw holes won't weaken the structure much and the scratch patch is thick enough to cover a multitude of sins. It's much easier than mixing / color matching gel coat for small repairs, and a little buffing afterwards hides it pretty well. Then again, my attitude is that it's only a water toy so getting a few nicks is just part of the price.

pilott

Dec 19, 2016
Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35 Kemah
JB-Weld WaterWeld epoxy putty stick is great for filling screw holes - convenient & easy to use.

Feb 17, 2006
JB-Weld WaterWeld epoxy putty stick is great for filling screw holes - convenient & easy to use.
That is what I was also thinking. Easy to use and I have a bunch of putty sticks. I used an aluminum putty stick to repair my throttle mount. Worked like a charm. I might go that route instead of the more expensive PC-11, or other epoxies. Need to look at what else is available other than JBWeld.