Small Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 350 Tacoma, WA WA
I have been fortunate this year to be able to order new sails. I have been very careful to remove and retain all the bits and pieces so I could re-install the sails, but apparently I was TOO careful. I cannot find the bolt, or pin, or whatever the mainsail was held to the boom with. It is obviously someplace very safe...

I am pretty sure it was a bolt with a ny-lock nut, but danged if I can find it, or remember it clearly. Since we have a Dutchman mainsail and it rarely comes off (never), I cannot remember for absolute sure.

If it was a bolt, can someone please verify, AND if one of you has a better idea (NOT a bolt), can you share YOUR attach approach?

Meanwhile, I will be going out tomorrow to sail the first time, and I can NOT wait! The old sails were really tired - well used, albeit still serviceable, but the new ones are just beautiful and CRISP. Biggest change is the main = full battens, loose foot and max'd roach.

Will share results, impressions as they become clear. I am hopeful they will be more than observable.

Thanks for your help!

Jon Freeman
C-310 "Summer Sojourn"
Tacoma, WA

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Can't help you on the missing bolt, but where did you get your sail made?

Jan 22, 2008
Ballard Sails here in Seattle. Good rep, by all reports. The two key guys are racers, and I mentioned I try to do a few PHRF races each year. Hence the changes to the main. Genoa is still 135 with provisions for shortening to 110. Will let you know how they pan out.

Jon Freeman
C-310 "Summer Sojourn"
Tacoma, WA

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Genoa is still 135 with provisions for shortening to 110. .

Jon Freeman
C-310 "Summer Sojourn"
Tacoma, WA
How is this done without just ferlowing it in? What a zipper panel, maybe to sets of teltales?

Jan 22, 2008
How is this done without just ferlowing it in? What a zipper panel, maybe to sets of teltales?
Rather interesting shaped foam sewn in the luff that "supposedly" enhances the shape when you roller furl it. I had heard of this before. We'll see how good it is...

Jon Freeman
C-310 "Summer Sojourn"
Tacoma, WA

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I use to race my Hunter legend 37 and bought a head sail with the same claim, but it did not work very well, because usually I needed to furl it in beyond the foam luffs extent, but then again it was 155. Let me know how it shapes for a 110.

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks all!

I went to West Marine and bought a couple of bolts, and a couple of clevis pins, and went down to the boat. THERE in the lowest-most hole was the clevis pin I had so carefully put back there when I removed the mainsail! What's funny is the sailmaker and I looked at it and didn't see it. I suppose because the upper hole was empty...

Anyway, all is good, and the sails are fully installed. NOW I just need to get out and try them!

Jon Freeman
C-310 "Summer Sojourn"
Tacoma, WA

Jan 22, 2008
Wife and I got out for about 3 hours a week ago, and Oh My Goodness! Summer Sojourn sailed pretty good before, but the new sails were dramatically better! Jib alone in 10-15 was a 5.8-6 knots. Hoisting the main to the first reef had us doing 7-7.7 knots on the GPS for a full 2 hours. Granted, the winds were solid 10-15 and higher, but the difference was obvious. Happy sailors we were as we returned to the dock.

What they say about new sails is true, I'm thinking. More sailing this weekend should solidify my feelings.

Jon Freeman
C-310 "Summer Sojourn"
Tacoma, WA

Status
Not open for further replies.