Small fin ahead of rudder? Baby skeg?

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
@dlochner excellent posts here point out why some of what we sail with is based on strange racing rules and fads. Same reason some economy cars in the 70's had spoilers on the trunk deck - they looked like vroom-vroom race cars. The IOR rules created beamy boats that sailed well in particular wind directions. As for me, I cannot afford a niche-market or custom boat, so I must select from used boats that were built to a price-point (cheap) for a mass market. Oh, to be able to change my hull-shape like @HeelBoy is suggesting (or be independently wealthy). Go for it and tell us what you find!

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nuts, guess I'll just have to become a better sailor.
:plus::beer:

That doesn’t mean you can’t experiment with boat/hull designs. Innovative designs are what brought about fin keels, winged keels, flattened wide boat butts etc. it is a boat. Your boat. Have fun with it.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Many boats built during the wing keel fad era had rudders that were lower in the water than the keel. Grounding one of those could be a disaster. Boat designs are often just to enhance sales and not for a practical purpose. So if the current fad is for wings, wings you get. If windows on the hull like catamarans have, windows you get. Giant cabins, with flowers in vases, appeal to the ladies at boat shows...