Small Bavaria Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2005
- - Ottawa
Am beginning the process of acquisition of a new boat and the Bavaria 30 is on my list. There are none available in my immediate area for inquiry so have just become a member of this list to gather infofrmation. I am requesting ownership experiences regarding the smaller Bavaria's. Tell me about pet peeves, performance, construction, quality, the option you should have ordered, the one you now know you wasted money on, maintenance ease and headaches, your pleasures and disappointments. I need to know if I should be looking at Catalina (309-310-320). Please scope your comments for projected use. Sailing as a couple just reaching 50. She enjoying an gentle sail and time on the hook currently on a river but in five years on the Canadian Great Lakes. The current cruises are 1-2 nights while the hope is 1-2 weeks on retirement. He enjoying it all along with her, but also JAM club racing his 1981 Tanzer 8.5 with an agile crew in anything up to 35 knots with 45 degrees of heel and the boat on the edge of out of control due to weather helm with the smaller triangle up and the main double reefed (and also more than a little worried). Any effort made on my behalf is appreciated. Brian

B

Beverly

Brian - We are a similarly aged couple and have a 2005 32' Bavaria. We are very pleased overall, but we are also new sailors so I can only respond to a few of your areas of interest. Plus, we didn't sail a lot this first season, so I can't speak with confidence about her performance, but I'm sure she would do well in more experienced hands such as yours. The 30' is heavier with more sail area, so it should do even better. What I can tell you is that Bavaria construction and workmanship are excellent, hardware is larger than most boats her size. Large amount of closed storage and spacious cabins and head have kept us happy. We added an electric windlass, 2-cycle reverse heat pump/air conditioner and later installed a Raritan SeaEra freshwater electric toilet. In-mast main is a pleasure, as are the winches close to the helm. I'm not sure that our pet peeves are relevant to you, e.g., cabin and head door latches at floor level are difficult to operate, and the head floor drain in positioned in the forward part of the head, while the shower water drains aft. I'm going to get another drain installed more aft, near the wet locker, to drain the water better. We had some warranty issues with the refrigerator, a/c and bilge pump, but our dealer was excellent in handling them. We were also comparing the Catalina vs. Bavaria, but we preferred the smaller, more compact exterior of the Bavaria, along with her beautiful lines and ultra-solid feel. We have not been disappointed at all. Hope this helps a little in your decision-making. Bev Caruso IRRESISTIBLE Selby Bay, MD

Aug 3, 2005
Morgan 33 O/I Green Cove Springs FL
Quality Varies

Ahoy Brian; I delivered a Bavaria and had no problems with is. In fact I thought it was a nice boat. I had read the keel fell off one in Croatia, but it was a cpmpetition model. Upon futher research I have found many complaints on the hull layup and other items. I guess it depends on the day the boat was made. I think I would go with a Catalina or Hunter, seems the customer support network is better. Fair Winds Cap'n Dave

K

Ken Johnson

Great boats!

Yes, they are great boats - and virtually ALL of the registered owners are happy with their choices. I, personally, owned a Catalina 320 before buying the Bavaria - it's also a great boat. Bavarias are quite new to the US, and aren't as well-known as other brands - the user's group is still small, but it is growing. Here's what I love about the Bavaria: Very well built, with high-quality construction; classic lines; easy to sail, and easy to sail fast; easy sail handling (mine has a furling main) very good accommodations - even in the smaller yachts (mine has the owner's cabin forward, which I prefer); great access to systems & the engine; mahogany instead of teak below (personal preference) and comparatively very nice joinery. What don't I like - The shower drain doesn't work (it's not positioned at the lowest point in the head) but can be fixed, not the easiest boat to fit a windlass into (pretty small list, huh) I would add that you cannot go wrong with the Catalina, and will most likely get more (i.e. longer) boat for the same money. When you buy one - please join the user's group.

C

Cal Vazquez

Small Bavaria construction

Hi Brian, I have a Bavaria31 of that I bought new in 2001. I have done several offshore trips (from Lisbon to Madeira, Baleares,...) and I found the boat very good in all conditions of sea (I met winds of force 8). The boat as a Loyds certification and I am very glad with her. I heard that more recents Bavaria have not The Loyds certification (I don't know why) but I belive their construction are similar. Enjoy you Bavaria

S

Sailing_Sweetie

Small Bavaris's

My Bavaria is the smallest in the group I believe. I have the 820, translating the meter's into feet leaves me somewhere between 27' and 28' with my bow extension included. I think the smallest they now make is the 30, but I may be wrong. My boat was a one owner when I got her, circa 1983 hull, splashed in 1984. The only problems that are not age related were an initial problem with the feathering prop. It didn't (that will get your attention, trust me). I replaced with a fixed, three blade prop. A saving's of almost $500.00 and no shake rattle and sit still when the throttle advanced. Easy decision. I also had to replace the engine water intake for a more easily turned valve, the old gate style was almost impossible to turn. I also had to have a new tiller sheeve as it had worn until it had a lot of play. This however was caused more by the tiller not being locked off for over 5 years of mothballing than a defect I believe. The only other item that needed work was the boot seal had to be replaced each time I had bottom work done, twice now since 1998. Not a big deal. As to sailing, there is no racing this boat. In order to race I have to reef as she tends to sit down in the water before she will heel which translates to slow. Of course since I don't like to race that is not an issue. If your looking to race, go with the Catalina. If you want comfy sailing and easy handling for the wife, get the Bavaria. I've been on plenty of Catalina's and the comfort level of an insulated hull and stable ride are of far more value to me than the ability to make a slow boat go fast (sic). Good luck, SS

Jun 1, 2005
- - Bar, Montenegro
Lloyds Registration / Bavaria

Regarding Cal's posting The story of "Germanischer Lloyd", i.e. GL and Bavaria is rather complex; first one should know what the certification truly is. Boats over 12 meters (approx. 36 ft) require a practical test and review of construction plans through GL to receive the cert if they meet GL's standards. On ships under 12 meters GL merely reviews theoretical stability as submitted by the manufacturer's tests, GL had no real standards for those ships. Ironically this process still lead to the same GL "certificate" as on larger boats. To make the charade complete: In (I believe) 1999 GL surveyors found a problem with the bow-plate on a new BAV 32 and mandated a change for Bavaria to receive the cert, however had no standards for that change. BAV and GL got into an argument over it and finally GL dissolved the cooperation with BAV all together. Cut off for the GL cert on Bavarias is 2001, which does not mean boats built before 2001 but boat-designs that were submitted until 2001. Since then the EU has developed the "CE" standards, which are mandated by law, while GL certs are not. Most would agree that GL has stricter standards than CE. Strict safety laws of highly developed European countries are being eroded while sloppy regulations of the less developed members are being elevated. Morski Krastavac www.croatiaunplugged.com

B

Brian

Thank you all

All: I have read carefully, and considered. We have decided that the Bavaria line is sufficiently worthy of consideration, as a result of your comments, that we shall attend the Toronto Boat Show in January and visit the Bavaria booth. We will be able to get some idea of the workability of the layout, the fit and finish, and the qualtiy and positionning of the hardware. Sadly they will have the new B33 but not the B30 which is holding out interest just inside of your budget. Bev Caruso: I would like to correspond with you or your spouse to seek out more detail off group. If you're willing, contact me at brian.amirault@pwgsc.gc.ca with an e-mail address so that we can make this possible. Again; thanks to all. Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.