Small 3" bow ding

Jan 30, 2021
Hunter 25.5 H25.5 Lake Winnipeg
Q#1I just bought a 1984 hunter 25.5 which has a 2-4" ding in the bow looks like a crappy job of previous repair I want to repair it
properly Suggestions? I was thinking about grinding out the old repair and laying some fiberglass mat and then gel coat over top
before putting on new Anti foul
Q#2 Do I need to put on a barrier coat before anti foul Almost every article says I have to but some old salts say it isn't necessary

Thanks
CJ
Bow ding.JPG

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Ouch!!...........must have been a hard docking event.

1. I believe you are on the right track, except as noted below. If the damage has not penetrated the hull then suggest following this procedure:
2. If this damaged area is below the waterline then apply 7 coats of barrier epoxy followed by 2 coats of anti-fouling paint.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
It appears that there used to be "U" clamp there to help load the boat on the trailer. Take a look inside you may need to strengthen inside as well
How will you load the boat on to the trailer without it.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It may be obvious but since it hasn't been expressly said above, you have to bevel the edges of the ding to somewhere around 12:1 (With the 1 being the thickness of the laminate). Be prepared to discover voids under the ding. You also need to bevel the edges of the cracks depending on how deep they are. They appear to be related to the bow ding. Do you have access to the interior of the hull where the ding is? You may want to grind and buildup with tape or cloth there for re-enforcement.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
quick note:
epoxy resin is not water permeable, so if you use epoxy (versus polyester resin) a barrier coat over the repair is not necessary.. The epoxy does need UV protection, so paint can do that and bottom paint is ok for that.. It looks like the ding is just barely below the waterline..