Sludged Fuel Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

J.Breen

My '90 Catalina 30 seems to have a fuel problem. I have changed all filters and traced it to the tank. My guess is the pick-up tube is gunked up. Its going to be a bear to take the tank out and clean it, but I'm not sure if I can unscrew the pickup tube without damaging it. Any suggestions? Also when I re-install it, what is the proper bleeding technique? It goes tank--Racor--electric fuel pump--spin on filter--injector pump.

S

ss

clean the tank

I'm not sure but I've heard that you can have your fuel tank cleaned while it's in the boat. The way I understand it (I'm sure someone here knows a lot more about this than me) you hire a company to come to your boat. They drain the old fuel, clean and flush your tank. I guess from that point you need to clean your pick-up tube and, of course, replace ALL filters. Again, I'm not sure if this information is correct but if it is you can be saved alot of labor. I know on my H33, removing the fuel tank would involve either removing the engine or cutting away the deck, both options suck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.