Slow Vegas

Oct 30, 2019
Hi,

If you think the Vega is a fast boat, check the PHRF (performance handicap) ratings. The difference in rating is the amount of time one boat must give another per mile while racing. For example, a boat with a 200 rating must give a Vega (246) 46 seconds per mile. The higher the rating, the slower the boat.

There are numerous sources for the ratings. Plug "PHRF ratings" into Google, or go to http://www.ecsa.net/phrf.htm, which has the ratings for several hundred classes to which you can compare the Vega. For some reason you have to hold down the ctrl key when you click on this link to get there; on my computer, anyway.

As much as we would like to think so, the Vega is not a fast boat. It has many fine attributes, but speed isn't one of them.

As Steve indicates, the Vega can be raced succcessfully, but this is not because it is fast; it is because it can sail to its handicap.

THE VEGA IS A SLOW BOAT. The J28, which is about the same size, and has a rating of 168, is a fast boat.
but I wouldn't go offshore in it.

Mort
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Nov 8, 2001
Hi Mort

I agree that the Vega is a slow boat when compared to the speed machines
of the present. As you say you wouldn't cross an ocean or circumnavigate
with any of them unless you have a back-up or a deep confidence in your
own abilities and lady luck.

The Vega is a fine yacht and I know of no other comparable in terms of
price, sea-keeping ability, looks, sturdiness, ease of sailing etc etc.
I know I am biased but I have tried quite a few other yachts and the
only other one I have thought of chaging to was the Hallberg Rassy
Monsun 31 which seems and feels like a bigger Vega. I have sailed to
the last IFR in my friends Monsun 31 and will be doing the same in July
when we go to Marstrand in Sweden. Not because I don't want to take my
Vega there but it would take me four weeks to sail each way and a week
at the IFR! My friends Monsun is at Copenhagan, Denmark so should only
take about three to four days each way which should make a nice holiday
as well.

See ya all

Steve B

mocap1

Oct 31, 2019
Steve,

I am in full agreement with your assessment of the Vega's qualities. My comments are intended to give Vega owners a better understanding of their boats and its capabilities, and its place in the sailboat spectrum. Within a given mission, sailboat design is a series of compromises. Per Brohall did a great job.

I don't have time to find it right now, but in the next few days I will post the url of a website that lists the design characteristics of several hundred boats, including the Vega.

I owned a Hallberg Rassy P-28, a leaky old wooden beauty that I paid too much for and which sank in its slip.

Mort

Nov 8, 2001
Hi Mort

You are now back on my Christmas card list! Have a good ‘un. I have
started an article based on a few of the this last weeks postings. I
apologise that I have had to edit a few of them but the end product
should be readable and show all of us in a good light….. even me!

Kind Regards

Steve B